Hi-Line stuck in a field by JakeWilson

JakeWilson
Having been kindly provided a radio tuner by Corin, we set up and ran out today with the hi-line for the first time.

Running the standard set up with a mk3 drive, the car is allegedly stuck in a field outside Lincoln that we don't live near, nor have driven past. The sat nav drive operates fine and powers down.

As I'm new to these systems I don't know what else to do - also, has anyone got a PDF manual for it?

Cheers,

Jake

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 15:34 #1 

JohnDotCom
One of the most common failures is the Aerial for the Sat Nav, Saloon or Tourer?
Does it show any satellites as being received?

There is also the onboard diagnostics that may help. (Just need to find and dig out the how to now)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 15:57 #2 

JakeWilson
Cheers John,

It's a saloon, how do I tell if it it's showing any Sat Nav's as being recieved?

Also, I've read posts about people updating the drives? How would I go about this as I am not sure the drive we're running with has ever been updated.

Thank you once again,

Jake

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 16:43 #3 

Duncan
The drive will work fine without being updated. You can get newer map discs, but lets get it working first.

The most likely problem is as John said, an antenna problem. There is a way of seeing how many sattelites are being received, when John posts the howto you should be able to check.

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 17:08 #4 

JakeWilson
Thanks both, looking forward to trying the diag and see what news there is there.

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 18:42 #5 

JohnDotCom
The GPS Antenna is under the rear parcel shelf on a Saloon (On the roof in the shape of a shark fin aerial for the Tourer)
always check nothing on back shelf blocking signal all sorts of things can from soft toys upward.

MG Rover technical manual details about the service mode options, these are for the MK2 unit but the MK3 just doesn't have the Trimble unit and responds quicker etc.

Service mode High line navigation
Service mode is entered by selecting 'SET' on the menu screen and pressing and holding the 'MENU' button for eight seconds. This will display a 'Service mode' menu screen.

Sensor test
Select 'SENSOR CHECK' from the Service Mode menu using the rotary control and press to select. The sensor check screen will be displayed. This screen provides a visual check that all input sensors are operating. The following sensor status is displayed and can be selected using the rotary control to highlight and select the required status:

GYRO: The navigation computer has a Gyro sensor which determines changes of vehicle direction. When the vehicle is driving in a straight line the value shown should remain almost constant. When the vehicle turns to the left the value should decrease and when the vehicle turns to the right the value should increase. The amount of increase or decrease depends on the tightness of the turn.

SP L:/R: Wheel speed sensors used by the ABS (Antilock Braking System) system calculate the vehicle speed. When the vehicle is stationary the wheel speed sensor L:/R: fields will show zero. When the car is driven the values should increase in proportion to the vehicle speed. When the vehicle is driven in a straight line, the values should be similar.

DIRECTION A direction sensor determines whether the vehicle is travelling forward or backward. With the vehicle in any forward gear or neutral or 'park' for automatic transmission, the display will show 'FWD'. When reverse gear is engaged the display should show 'BWD'.

GPS The GPS System check displays the number of satellites displayed and the GPS system status. The status is displayed as 01 to 04 and are as follows:

01 (GPS Error) There is a communication error between the GPS receiver and the navigation computer.

02 (Satellite Search) The system is searching for satellites and may indicate a failure of the GPS system. Ensure that the GPS antenna is not covered and check harness connections between the GPS receiver and the antenna.

03 (Satellite Contact) The system is tracking a number of satellites. This message shows that the system is functioning correctly, but there is not enough information to determine the vehicle position. Check that the GPS antenna is not covered in any way. It may take several minutes for the GPS system to locate enough satellites to determine the vehicle position.

04 (Position Known) The system is tracking a number of satellites and has a current fix on the vehicle position. This shows that the system is functioning correctly. Select the return icon using the rotary control and press to select. This will exit the sensor check screen and the
Service Mode menu will appear.

GPS
Select 'GPS' from the Service Mode menu using the rotary control and press to select. The GPS menu has three menu selections available: 'VERSION', 'STATUS' and 'TRACKING INFO'. Use the rotary control to highlight the required menu and press to select.

The 'GPS-VERSION menu will display the following information:
SW VERS: The GPS receiver version number is displayed.
SW DATE: The software date is displayed. (on Rover units not normally upgradeable you would require a BMW MK3 or MK4)
Select the return icon using the rotary control and press to select.

This will exit the GPS Version screen and the GPS menu will appear.
The 'GPS-STATUS' menu will display the following information:
LAT: The current vehicle latitude position is displayed.
LNG: The current vehicle longitude position is displayed.
ALT: The current vehicle altitude is displayed.
DATE: The current date is displayed i.e. 10/02/99. (not available on many units)
HEADING: The current vehicle heading is displayed i.e. 150.1°.
G-SPEED: The vehicle speed is displayed i.e. 12.5 m/s.
REC-STAT: The receiver status is displayed. The receiver status will display one of the following messages:

COM ERR This denotes that there is a communication error between the GPS receiver and the navigation computer.

SEARCH The system is searching for satellites. This may be a failure of the GPS system. Ensure that the GPS antenna is not covered in any way and check harness connections between the GPS receiver and the GPS antenna.
TRK The system is tracking a number of satellites. The Pos-Src will display the number of satellites the GPS system can see. This message shows that the system is functioning correctly, but there is not enough information to determine the vehicle position. Check that the GPS antenna is not covered in any way. It may take several minutes for the GPS system to locate enough satellites to determine the vehicle position.

POS The system is tracking a number of satellites and has a current fix on the vehicle position. This shows that the system is functioning correctly. The Pos-Src will display the type of position fix (2D or 3D) and the number of satellites the GPS system can see.

TIME: The current time is displayed i.e. 09:12.52. (not always available depends on unit)

POS-SRC: The position source is displayed i.e. 150.1°.
PDOP:/HDOP:/VDOP: Three figures are displayed which give the position (P), horizontal (H) and vertical (V) dilution of precision (DOP). This shows the accuracy of the GPS tracking with the lower figure showing a higher accuracy rating.

Select the return icon using the rotary control and press to select. This will exit the GPS status screen and the GPS menu will appear.

The 'GPS-TRACKING INFO' menu will display the following information:
VISIBLE SAT: The display will show the number of visible satellites.
ALMANAC: The display will show 'YES' or 'NO' to show if almanac data is being received.
CH PRN S/N: This display shows the satellite being tracked on each channel and the signal level. The channels correspond to the number of satellites currently visible.
Select the return icon using the rotary control and press to select. This will exit the GPS tracking screen and the GPS menu will appear. Highlighting the return icon and pressing the rotary control will exit the GPS menu and the Service Mode menu will appear.
Service Mode is exited by highlighting the return icon and pressing the rotary control.

If of course you have the 16:9 wide screen and MK4 Sat Nav Computer (DVD Map discs), above will be different, you also have a permanent display of satelittes received in top right hand corner which makes life easy for fault finding.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 18:45 #6 

JakeWilson
Thanks for that John,

We've just been out in the car whilst running the above, all was fine apart from the car being unable to tell if it was running backwards or forwards (gyro detected turns etc) and also the wheel speed sensors were coming up with nothing.

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 20:11 #7 

Duncan
The wheel speed sensors are also critical, even if GPS is working.

Is the system a retro fit? It sounds like the second connector behind the dash isn't connected as this carries the wheelspeed sensor and the reverse signal. It's a flat connector, six pins from memory. Check that first and we'll trace it from there.

Posted 03 Jul 2011, 08:49 #8 

JakeWilson
It's a retrofit Duncan, and there's me thinking I'd fitted it ok! :-p.

I've got the car tomorrow so will have a delve and see what I can find.

Thanks once again,

Jake

Posted 03 Jul 2011, 19:41 #9 

stubie
Jake I had the same issue on a previous install I put my finding up on the club site. Search for slate green wire.

Posted 03 Jul 2011, 22:55 #10 

JakeWilson
Thanks Stubs,

Is this the critter? It was wrapped up in grey adhesive sponge tape. Question is, where does it connect to?

Posted 04 Jul 2011, 14:26 #11 

Duncan
That's him.

There should be a mating half somewhere. Is that half on the satnav harness, or the car? I expect that is the satnav side (but why taped up?), so there should be something similar looking on the car harness. What age of car is it? Newer ones have ISO connectors, older ones a BMW connector, and I'd expect this to be in the same area.

Edit: workshop manual seems to confirm that is the satnav harness side. It seems to show the other half tucked down the back quite a way, behind where the bordmonitor lives. Over to the left side a bit.

Posted 04 Jul 2011, 19:15 #12 

JakeWilson
Hi Duncan,

You were right , that connector is on the loom, strange though that it was taped up. The system was all removed from the same car that Lewis sourced.

Have had all the dash out and the glove box and cannot find the connector. The car is a 2004 Mk2, however it started life as a press car and I think was a 'lifted' mk1. Car has BMW block connector for the hi-line loom if that helps?!

Havind read this: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s ... late+green (Thanks Stubbs!) I wondered if they are in fact here:

Posted 04 Jul 2011, 19:43 #13 

Duncan
Just read that thread, it reminded me what I found on my car. I think those two you've found are the remote control wires (Blue Orange and Blue Purple?).

Reading the thread (I remember contributing now), I found the slate green in one of the ISO connectors that I had (the one for the power connections), it didn't have the BMW block connector. I'd have a good dig around in that same area for wires of the right colour.

Posted 04 Jul 2011, 20:17 #14 

JakeWilson
Thanks Duncan, I assume the wires on the connecting end of the abs sensor are the same (green grey?)

EDIT - just found the slate green in the ISO, is that all that's needed or is there another I need as well?

Posted 04 Jul 2011, 20:32 #15 

Duncan
Slate green is the important one, it's the ABS speed. The other one is reverse, green brown from memory. It will work OK without, but don't do too much reversing or you will become lost....

Posted 05 Jul 2011, 18:11 #16