Engine fan by persuer

persuer
As Dave and Paul pointed out to me on the last meet that I have a problem with low speed on my 2 speed fan. Now I have been looking at the 100w Resister but on the description it says remove the old resister but I have looked through my grill and there is not one fitted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cooling-Fan-1 ... 764wt_1397

Posted 04 Aug 2012, 18:10 #1 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Richard
that is because you will have the three speed fan on your car and you will either have to replace the bushes if all goes well when taking the motor apart etc or change it for the uprated two speed fan with the gold resistor one was replaced at the last meet by Ken from Bilston with the help of the two Daves (Takestock)&(Duotone)one was also replaced after having the bushes replaced even though the members fan was no good i had an extra fan which was put to good use instead of it going into the scrap, Arctic

midlands-nano-meet-sat-21-sun-22-july-t5854-60.html
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 04 Aug 2012, 18:18 #2 

Last edited by Arctic on 05 Aug 2012, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

persuer
Ah thanks Steve I jut naturally presumed when Paul had it on the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) and checked high and low speed that it was it 2 speed fan.

Posted 04 Aug 2012, 18:21 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
I would say hold out until the September nano but i am not sure that is wise with a 1.8 diesel no problem but i would hate to say chance then you boil over and cause more damage. I have two 2.0 petrol ones with gold resistors and a couple of 1.8 three speed in the shed which may be able to come back to life ? with a change of bushes but its hit and miss how long they would last after. Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 01:30 #4 

takestock
1.8 will be a two speed fan but it will be based on the old three speed fan ( no resistor and one of the speeds removed). if you still have the higher speed then the motor can usually be repaired, I do currently have time to do this at the nano with you Richard :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 07:12 #5 

persuer
Thanks for your reply Dave I wished I had time on the last nano. As I stated on the meet site then if I can get the time off for the next nano-meet then I would welcome your help on this my friend. :)

If I get The resister as well would that make a difference ?.

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 17:51 #6 

takestock
Nope, the system you have does not use the resistor. if you want to use a resistor on your car you will need to change the fan as well. Hopefully yours will just need new brushes ( £10 on ebay :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 18:30 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
takestock wrote:1.8 will be a two speed fan but it will be based on the old three speed fan ( no resistor and one of the speeds removed). if you still have the higher speed then the motor can usually be repaired, I do currently have time to do this at the nano with you Richard :)

Dave as always stand corrected 1.8 two speed but as you say based on the three speed with three wires :hail: :hail: will i need to bring one of the old 1.8 fans i have just incase the motor is damaged as i did last time, proberly best i think do you agree if Richard can Make it. Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 20:10 #8 

Last edited by Arctic on 07 Aug 2012, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

persuer
takestock wrote:Nope, the system you have does not use the resistor. if you want to use a resistor on your car you will need to change the fan as well. Hopefully yours will just need new brushes ( £10 on ebay :)

Would you happen to have a link to the right ones please Dave ?.

Posted 07 Aug 2012, 09:43 #9 

takestock
persuer wrote:
takestock wrote:Nope, the system you have does not use the resistor. if you want to use a resistor on your car you will need to change the fan as well. Hopefully yours will just need new brushes ( £10 on ebay :)

Would you happen to have a link to the right ones please Dave ?.

Doesn't appear to be any up for sale just at the moment, no big deal, I think I have 2 in my tool box ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 07 Aug 2012, 13:44 #10 

persuer
OK Dave thanks.

Posted 07 Aug 2012, 16:10 #11 

Arctic
(Trader)
Took a look at the two 1.8 i have and managed to fit two bushes from another dud motor into one of them so will bring both i have also loosened the motor from the fan blades just in case we would need them at the next meet or not, which ever the case maybe they came in useful the last two meets thats why i try not to thow howt away cheers Arctic.

Note how the low speed wears out first then the medium this is from a three speed four wire fan.

You can now see it next to a three speed three wire fan from a 1.8 again the low speed wears first

One for you Dave is there any differnce between the capacitors in the photo above as one is blue/green the other orange in colour i have also seen white,purple just curious Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 07 Aug 2012, 18:38 #12 

persuer
Thanks for that info Steve and the spare parts as well :)

Posted 09 Aug 2012, 04:52 #13 

Arctic
(Trader)
made a off the car tester today so fans can be pluged into the car before fitting just by removing the little triagle we may get to see it working at the September nano

Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 11 Aug 2012, 00:59 #14 

persuer
Looks good Steve, good work mate. :)

Posted 11 Aug 2012, 19:00 #15