Delay for DAB and FM cut off date by JohnDotCom

• Related topics: (no related topics)

JohnDotCom
Many will be pleased to hear that the Government are most likely to abandon the 2015 turn off date for all FM Radio transmissions and extend date to 2017.
Problems they are having is the fact that Independent Commercial Radio stations and owners are making no fast moves to switch,
Car Manufacturers won't be fitting as standard till 2013,
the biggest problem of course will be DAB coverage which is only 78% for the UK,
the current usage of DAB is very slated by the fact that many use Satellite systems to listen to radio,
currently only 31% of UK residents are using DAB by which ever means they listen to it.

Nothing wrong with a decent FM system IMHO,
and only being changed not for improvement in the sound, but to sell to other countries and users, France wants much of it!! :hissyfit:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 09 Dec 2010, 15:43 #1 

Bermudan 75
What with the Olympics having French used at the medal ceremonies as the first language and the French wanting DAB, I am getting a slight conspiracy complex. :stirer:

Posted 09 Dec 2010, 16:52 #2 

Bernard
Yeah, it's all very well announcing that everything is to go digital but where we live we are on the very limit of digital TV, some channels are missing, and cannot get digital radio at all. What are we supposed to do?
Hopefully we will be long departed before it happens.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 09 Dec 2010, 17:37 #3 

Mad-Monkey
Bernard wrote:Yeah, it's all very well announcing that everything is to go digital but where we live we are on the very limit of digital TV, some channels are missing, and cannot get digital radio at all. What are we supposed to do?
Hopefully we will be long departed before it happens.

I have a DAB radio in the car and it's pants, it drops the signal and reverts to FM quite a bit and the quality seems poor to me compared to FM. Same with the DAB radio at home. It's like listening to the radio through a thick piece of glass, the sound is not very bright, and I constantly feel I need to adjust the treble and bass to try and get a better sound.

Posted 09 Dec 2010, 21:01 #4 

Duncan
I'm a DAB fan myself. Have a highway DAB adaptor which drops signal ocassionally because I haven't got the aerial sorted, but one of the cars has it as standard and it works great.

At home, DAB signal isn't much good, need an antenna in the loft. That said, you do for FM too.

No complaints about sound quality either, in fact I love it. My favourite staion is 6 Music and you can't get that on FM

Posted 09 Dec 2010, 21:34 #5