Death of the tax disc: learn new rules or face £1,000 fine by JohnDotCom

JohnDotCom
Death of the tax disc: learn new rules or face £1,000 fine

The traditional paper car tax disc will be replaced by an electronic system in October, and drivers are being urged to understand the rules
Source Daily Telegraph

The tax disc, which was first introduced in 1921, will cease to exist in paper form from October 1, with a new electronic system being put in its place.

Under new rules announced in the Autumn Statement last year, motorists will now have to register their car online to pay Vehicle Excise Duty, otherwise known as road tax. This can be done via Direct Debit on the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) website or at a Post Office branch.

Those who don't register for the tax, will be caught out by number plate recognition cameras which track each vehicle on the road.

While the move aims to streamline services and, it is claimed, save British businesses millions of pounds a year in administrative costs, motorists are being warned to brush up on the new rules or face possible fines.

The change mostly affects those buying or selling a used car.

Anyone who buys a used car will no longer benefit if there are months left on the tax disc, as the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the car. This means buyers will have to renew their tax disc straight away, or risk being caught out on the road in an untaxed car.

[The long-gone tax that everyone still thinks they’re paying]

The seller of the vehicle is responsible for informing the DVLA of a change of ownership, otherwise they could face a possible £1,000 fine. This can be done by filling out a V5C form and sending it to the DVLA.

Vehicle sellers will get an automatic refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax.

Paul Watters, head of roads policy at the AA, said: "This is a huge change and vehicle owners and drivers need to be aware of the rules. A driver, not registered owner, can be issued a non-endorsable fixed penalty for driving an untaxed car. An owner can be fined £80 for using an untaxed vehicle (one not registered off the road) and can be charged any back tax."

Mr Watters said it was important all vehicle owners and motorists did their utmost to establish whether their vehicle was taxed or SORN’d (declared off the road) before driving the car. This can be done here .

Julie Daniels, head of motor at comparethemarket.com, said that the removal of the tax disc, which will in turn eliminate tax dodgers from the road, "should have a positive impact on premiums".

The paper element of the driving licence, which accompanies the credit card size photo-card, is also due to be axed in January 2015.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 13 Aug 2014, 15:38 #1 

raistlin
The one bit I do like about all this is the ability to pay monthly.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 13 Aug 2014, 17:20 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
How do we stand if you Tax your car now lets say at the end of this Month August,for 6 months or even 12 months as I am sure you will be given a paper tax disc to display yes.

If so does this mean come October you have to send it back and the re-register online for the new method and is there a link for this Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 13 Aug 2014, 20:28 #3 

Duncan
From what I read at the DVLA, from October you can remove your tax disc and get rid of it. In their words:

If you have a tax disc with any months left to run after this date, then it can be removed from the vehicle windscreen and destroyed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Posted 13 Aug 2014, 20:43 #4 

Duncan
raistlin wrote:The one bit I do like about all this is the ability to pay monthly.

I bet they will charge for this though.

Posted 13 Aug 2014, 20:43 #5 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:
raistlin wrote:The one bit I do like about all this is the ability to pay monthly.

I bet they will charge for this though.

Undoubtedly Duncan but it will be more convenient... unless they add silly charges.
Paul

Posted 13 Aug 2014, 21:16 #6 

raistlin
Duncan wrote: If you have a tax disc with any months left to run after this date, then it can be removed from the vehicle windscreen and destroyed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Not that I'm paranoid, of course, but my tax disc is staying in my windscreen until it runs out next year ;)
Paul

Posted 13 Aug 2014, 21:17 #7 

PaulT
Did read that currently the 6 monthly option attracts a 10% surcharge and this reduces to 5% from October, cannot remember what the surcharge is for monthly.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 13 Aug 2014, 21:19 #8 

Mad-Monkey
Am I better off getting 12 or 6 months then the end of the month? Or does it make no difference?

Posted 14 Aug 2014, 15:55 #9 

Bolin
And the surchage for paying monthly? I bet it'll be more than that for paying for 6 months :(

Posted 14 Aug 2014, 15:56 #10 

Bolin
David, you're always better off paying for 12 months as it's cheaper over the year - you avoid the surcharge.

Posted 14 Aug 2014, 15:57 #11 

Mad-Monkey
Thanks! :)

Posted 14 Aug 2014, 16:33 #12 

raistlin
Not everybody can find that much money in one go of course.
Paul

Posted 14 Aug 2014, 17:39 #13