Confused upgraded hiline by jimbo

jimbo
I've partly upgraded the hiline on my V8, fitted a BM 24 radio tuner, a widescreen bord monitor and a hybrid TV tuner, just waiting for the second mk 4 navigation tuner - long story which we don't have to go into at present.

Yesterday drove down to the West Midlands - navigation working - on my way back it froze, then it wouldn't show the map screen or direction screen, audio still working on CD and radio. Then the screen changed colour and I got a service screen mode up and a lot more menus were available. On the start up screen navigation had disappeared and was replaced with the OBC (On Board Computer) computer settings which are not available on the V8 due to the gateway ECU (Engine Control Unit), lo and behold now could switch on and off the TP function. This continued until I arrived home, I had pulled off into a services and switched of the ignition and then restarted to see if that cleared the problem, but it didn't. A couple of hours later I tried it again and everything back to normal and today I've used the navigation and alls working as it should - spooky or what.

Regards
jimbo

Posted 04 Aug 2010, 16:51 #1 

MN190
It would be worth putting the sat nav computer in a warm dry place such as an airing cupboard.

Posted 04 Aug 2010, 17:34 #2 

Ragman
Once you have the full kit installed get it on a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) to "reintall" it - made mine much more stable, worth making sure there are no boot leaks as the Mk4 drive does NOT like water!

Posted 04 Aug 2010, 23:15 #3 

jimbo
MN190 wrote:It would be worth putting the sat nav computer in a warm dry place such as an airing cupboard.

The mk3's been out of the car as the disc won't eject and I was trying to manually eject it., only put it back in for the day. The boot is dry, no leaks at all - I know amazing for a 75.

Thanks
jimbo

Posted 05 Aug 2010, 08:03 #4 

jimbo
Ragman wrote:Once you have the full kit installed get it on a T4 to "reintall" it - made mine much more stable, worth making sure there are no boot leaks as the Mk4 drive does NOT like water!

That's a good idea Colin regarding T4 I'll have a word with the ex MGR guy that's been doing some work on the car and see what he says after I've got it all upgraded.

As reply above, boot's perfectly dry and it's obvious it's never leaked. That was one of my concerns when sourcing a V8, no reason to have problems with the hiline units in the boot.

I'm just wondering if the mk3 had a software glitch and rebooted itself :confused: . I had just given it several commands before it froze. It's working now but it seems slower than usual - no matter it'll all be sorted once I receive and fit the mk4.

Cheers
jimbo

Posted 05 Aug 2010, 08:13 #5 

Mad-Monkey
The T4 doesn't really install the satnav, it just tells the car it's there and then the car can log the errors from the kbus. The mpg, average speed etc... can be displayed on the headunit after a T4 session but it doesn't affect the working. I'm intrigued as to how it became stable after a session on the T4, is it a V8 thing?

Posted 05 Aug 2010, 09:18 #6 

Ragman
Monk wrote:.............. is it a V8 thing?

I have no idea but Nick up at Austins has seen this happen a few times, he did not say whether it was just on V8's

Posted 05 Aug 2010, 11:27 #7 

Mad-Monkey
Cheers, something to watch for then! :)

Posted 05 Aug 2010, 11:34 #8 

jimbo
Ragman wrote:
Monk wrote:.............. is it a V8 thing?

I have no idea but Nick up at Austins has seen this happen a few times, he did not say whether it was just on V8's

Since I've had the mk4 navigation computer installed the problem seems to have gone away - must have been a faulty mk3 unit.

Regards
Jim
jimbo

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 14:47 #9