Common sense... by raistlin

raistlin
... from one local authority which might filter through:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7905373/Speed-cameras-fall-victim-to-spending-cuts.html

The last line of the paragraph is all we ever wanted.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 05:36 #1 

Rammie
It appears to be coming to a County near you soon too.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/ ... ticle.html
Brian

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 06:14 #2 

takestock
We shall see if they do demise.

if speed cameras were truly there for road safety then no fine would be imposed surely?

It would simply be there to put the points on your licence and persistent offenders would soon realise the consequences.

Sorry, thats just me being sensible again, happens every now and again :em:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 07:01 #3 

MrB
As I have always maintained on the subject of speed cameras - sure they'll catch someone doing 36 in a 30 at 3am in the morning - wouldn't want to miss those speeders now, such a menace. But what they don't do is catch people driving dangerously, poorly or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

I hope they re-look at all the roads they reduced from National Speed Limit down to 40 & 50 as well. Some of those changes have caused accidents.

Just my two penneth
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 08:28 #4 

starbug2
MrB wrote:As I have always maintained on the subject of speed cameras - sure they'll catch someone doing 36 in a 30 at 3am in the morning - wouldn't want to miss those speeders now, such a menace. But what they don't do is catch people driving dangerously, poorly or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

I hope they re-look at all the roads they reduced from National Speed Limit down to 40 & 50 as well. Some of those changes have caused accidents.

Just my two penneth

:iagree: :iagree: :angry: not enough reason at times to the rules of the road and speed etc. far to many can be driving at legal speeds but very badly or dangerously . far to many sit in the middle lane for no good reason or cut lanes on roundabouts or any were even :evil: :evil: or even drive so slowly so no reason :hissyfit: if they can't see they should not drive :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: i see it all being a driver of far to many miles . time to rest :bed:

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 10:55 #5 

gefary
Isn't this just "brinkmanship".
You stop our Government grants we will stop your income from fines.
Be interested in the outcome.

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 15:49 #6 

MrB
gefary wrote:Isn't this just "brinkmanship".
You stop our Government grants we will stop your income from fines.
Be interested in the outcome.

The money from the fines never went to central government.

It goes to fund your local Police Authority IIRC
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 20:33 #7 

JohnDotCom
Not any more, that all altered and that is one of reasons why many Councils are now removing/switching off the Cameras.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 24 Jul 2010, 08:38 #8 

MrB
I stand corrected.

If it leads to a reduction in these on our roads all well and good.

However, it is an increase in the number of traffic police that I would like to see.

Can't see that happening any tikme soon. IIRC was some research out this week that says only 11% of police are on active service at any time due to paperwork etc.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 24 Jul 2010, 10:16 #9 

raistlin
MrB wrote: IIRC was some research out this week that says only 11% of police are on active service at any time due to paperwork etc.

Yes, about that percentage. Of course, as in any statistical analysis, the numbers can be selected to suit the argument. However, the point is well made. Police officers themselves deplore the amount of time they have to spend on ancillary duties, including excessive paperwork.

However, I am convinced that the situation will change very quickly. In the present climate of 'public sector bashing', I don't really see how it could continue.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 24 Jul 2010, 10:32 #10