Clever idea wanted by raistlin

raistlin
As some of you may know, the S-Type Jaguar's bonnet drops away quite quickly towards the front and as a result, lining the car up between the vertical posts of my garage door is something of a nightmare, the garage doorway being scant inches wider than the car.

Once inside the garage, no problem as my lasers act as a perfect guide to the final position of the car.

So, what I'm looking for is a clever idea that I can use to centralize the car's nose with the garage door entrance prior to entering the garage.

Any ideas please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 01 Nov 2015, 15:44 #1 

Dave
Might sound daft, and definitely low-tech, but something my grandad used to do..... A piece of string with a non abrasive weight on the end, hung centrally. Guess you've already thought of this? ;)

Posted 01 Nov 2015, 16:59 #2 

raistlin
The door is "up and over" Dave. When open it sticks out about 1 metre from the front of the garage.
Paul

Posted 01 Nov 2015, 17:02 #3 

Dave
Ah.... String would still work, but you'd have to re-stick it every time. Need a better solution I think...

Posted 01 Nov 2015, 17:59 #4 

PaulT
Two lengths of 'U' section iron, drive on and keeps you centralised......not really practical though.

How about a central white line and a detector under the centre of the front bumper that detects the white line and beeps to let you know that you are on the line. Or a strip of metal with the sensor being something that detects metal.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 01 Nov 2015, 18:17 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
Paul fit a mirror on your back wall of the garage or an old bike mirror on the side wall so you can at least see one side, which should help keep the car from getting to close to the garage frame.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 02 Nov 2015, 01:32 #6 

raistlin
Couple of good ideas there. Thanks chaps.
Paul

Posted 02 Nov 2015, 07:50 #7 

zojosc
Trade the Jag in for a Rover
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 02 Nov 2015, 08:24 #8 

MN190
Widen the garage entrance :gmc:

Posted 02 Nov 2015, 13:42 #9 

Dave Goody
fit metal skids on the garage wall?

Posted 05 Nov 2015, 12:16 #10 

PaulT
How about two foam balls (so they do not scratch the paintwork) each on a string. One is fixed to the garage door such that when the door opens it hangs down at eye level and in the centre of your eyes as you drive in with the car correctly positioned to safely go in to the garage and the other fixed towards the back of the garage in the same position. Now, as youdrive in to the garage you simply need to line up the two balls and keep them aligned for a safe entry. You could also add a third between these two to remain on course once the one at the entrance has been passed.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Nov 2015, 07:15 #11 

raistlin
Thanks Paul :) A good idea.

In the meantime, what I have done is obtained another laser marker and I'll experiment with that as well to see if I can get it to project sufficiently far forward.
Paul

Posted 07 Nov 2015, 08:41 #12 

Dave Goody
PaulT wrote:How about two foam balls (so they do not scratch the paintwork) each on a string. One is fixed to the garage door such that when the door opens it hangs down at eye level and in the centre of your eyes as you drive in with the car correctly positioned to safely go in to the garage and the other fixed towards the back of the garage in the same position. Now, as youdrive in to the garage you simply need to line up the two balls and keep them aligned for a safe entry. You could also add a third between these two to remain on course once the one at the entrance has been passed.

Did you have something to do with the Dam Busters bouncing bomb aiming system?

Posted 10 Nov 2015, 12:14 #13