CD Changer Murder.... by JakeWilson

• Related topics: (no related topics)

JakeWilson
Just about had enough of Highline CD Changers.

Purchased a complete highline kit, but supplier forgot the changer so sent me one a later date, which although I cannot prove, certainly looks alot older than the age of car the set up came from.

When I plumbed it in, it seized and wouldn't release the cartridge. So out it came, took it to bits and corrosion inside looked to have been the reason it died. Reassembled and plugged back in, and it seized, again.

Anyway, changed for a later changer that I bought subsequently. This one ejects the cartridge fine, but sits and makes noises however won't load any discs, the headunit then tells me that there are no discs, despite the cartridge being full.

Any advice or pointers would be most appreciated.

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 18:42 #1 

takestock
buy a mem stick interface.......:gmc: sorry Jake but in all honesty that is what I would do/did
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 18:49 #2 

Duncan
Does it try to load the discs and fail, or does it load one but then can't play it?

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 18:54 #3 

JakeWilson
takestock wrote:buy a mem stick interface.......:gmc: sorry Jake but in all honesty that is what I would do/did

No worries Dave which one did you buy? :-) Looking at Grom ones at the moment.

Duncan wrote:Does it try to load the discs and fail, or does it load one but then can't play it?

It tries to load one and fails, thankfully it's a clear cd cartridge and you can see that none of the trays move, but the changer tries to do something.

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 18:59 #4 

Zeb
Let me have it Jake...I can probably sort it for you..:)

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 19:09 #5 

yl51hfb
Common problem with these Alpine changes, my second died a while back and I replaced it with a tape adapter with a memmory card. Sound quality is not as good but it does atleast work long term.

Ive known people spend ages cleaning and greasing the worm gear for it to only work one or two times before packing in. Not worth the hassle and lack of glovebox space in my oppinion.

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 19:16 #6 

takestock
JakeWilson wrote:
takestock wrote:buy a mem stick interface.......:gmc: sorry Jake but in all honesty that is what I would do/did

No worries Dave which one did you buy? :-) Looking at Grom ones at the moment.

Duncan wrote:Does it try to load the discs and fail, or does it load one but then can't play it?

It tries to load one and fails, thankfully it's a clear cd cartridge and you can see that none of the trays move, but the changer tries to do something.

I still have the original grom unit with no updates, works fine .As i don't have an i pod I just got the memstick version think is was around £55 around 3 yr ago. create 6 folders on a mem stick and load up the folders, I have up to 99 tracks per folder :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 19:36 #7 

Last edited by takestock on 09 Mar 2012, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

JakeWilson
Thanks Dave, sadly 55 bucks has gone up! i'm not fussed about iPod either, but would want interface through the HU. Out of interest do you get song and artist up on the screen?

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 21:39 #8 

takestock
Nope, 'fraid not, it just acts exactly as the CD unit did, working from the steering wheel controls as well same as original. think I got a connects2 to fit in wifes leon, very similar in operation only it accepts SD card or mem stick
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 21:46 #9 

Bermudan 75
Me? I just listen to the radio and don't have these problems. :angry:

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 23:01 #10