Car Keys How to order. Very Important by Mick

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Mick
(Site Admin)
Car Keys (VERY IMPORTANT)

Contact member "Lates"

Owing to the security systems on our cars if you only have one key. Be advised.

Get a second key before you need one.

If you lose, break or lock your key in the car you will have a nightmare of a job getting a replacement or have to forcibly break into your car to retrieve one locked inside. The boot is a favourite area for locking it in.

You can get a replacement cut by a competent automotive locksmith providing you can access the car and remove the bootlock barrel Mk1 only and the immobiliser unit. Mk2 cars do not have boot locks and would require the drivers door lock to be removed. The steering lock cannot be removed without a key.

You can get a replacement key from any Xpart dealer or Lates. This requires ordering from BMW and once the key has been supplied it needs to be coded to your car via T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System). The new key will open and start your car but needs to be programmed to enable deadlocking and opening using the fob controls. There are no alternatives for new keys. The turn around time is generally 7-10 days, providing a German bank holiday does not interfere.

If locked in, we have the information to access MK1 boots. Ask an admin but only if you are in trouble we do not hand the information out if you are not immediately in need of it. We do not have any information regarding Mk2 cars. Breaking a window is the only way we know.

All cars were supplied with 2 keys so it may be worth your while contacting a previous owner to see if they still have the spare.
Early cars were supplied with a plastic emergency key as well as the two proper ones, this will give access to the car.
According to the body electrics workbook 1999 the emergency slim key has a transponder chip in it so you can use it to start the car. But beware they are quite flimsy so could possibly break when releasing the steering lock.

Save yourself from this particular nightmare and get a second key. NOW

If you are buying a used car that does not have a second key, negotiate £189.99 off the price to pay for a new one.

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 14:16 #1 

PaulT
Had a vehicle locksmith coding 2 new fobs to Yves car today. He arrived with his kit and then said 'oh they are Pekton units' (hers is a facelift 45 - 2004). He was not too happy tackling this and only managed to programme one of the new fobs to the car.

Anyway, he spoke about my 75 and he siad they were a Peugeot key. I said that new keys had to be ordered from BMW. He asked to see the key and reiterated that it was Peugeot. He then said that he can do the keys - £195 each, so a bit more than going the official route.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 18:53 #2 

MrB
Has anyone tried these?

http://www.roverlink.co.uk/content.aspx?page=rover75keys

Am just a little wary of sending them a copy of the V5.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 14 Jun 2010, 11:00 #3 

Mad-Monkey
MrB wrote:Has anyone tried these?

I'm sure Lates is cheaper than that :)

Posted 14 Jun 2010, 11:53 #4 

MrB
Monk wrote:
MrB wrote:Has anyone tried these?

I'm sure Lates is cheaper than that :)

Thats very good to know as on top of the growing list of things wrong with my newly acquired 75 I only have 1 key.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 14 Jun 2010, 12:19 #5 

Lates
(Trader)
Key prices have changed a lot over the years gents. Maybe X Part still need to make £M's in a dwindling market place, for us to supply and code a key now is £189.99

Posted 17 Jan 2014, 16:10 #6