Car dealer behaviour. by Bernard

Bernard
I went to the north of Birmingham earlier today to view a car, not exactly on my doorstep. It was a very nice petrol Freelander2 which ticks all the right boxes for me. Low mileage however priced accordingly and some. So, having shown some interest to the salesman, I requested an appointment for a test drive.
He told me that the way that they do business is to negotiate a deal first, take a deposit and then prepare the car for a test drive. And that was it.
Here is how I do business I said, "I take a test drive and then negotiate on the basis of my observations. Good afternoon."
Is it just me? Or would anyone else agree to those conditions. It has been a long time since I bought a car from a dealer as such, have things perhaps changed?

Posted 19 Aug 2015, 18:08 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I presume that they don't prep any car so they can shove it out to another dealer if doesn't sell within a given time without any expense.

On the other hand, as a customer, I wouldn't touch them or their cars with a bargepole. I wouldn't have been quite so polite. ;)

Posted 19 Aug 2015, 18:12 #2 

Dave
Even if the deposit was refundable, then it still sounds barmy as surely to negotiate a deal, you need to have driven the car to find out if there's any issues with it, which you could then use as a bartering point

If the deposit is not refundable, then it's insane!

Posted 19 Aug 2015, 18:16 #3 

raistlin
A perfect example of the insidious modern attitude of doing as little as possible for as much of a gain as possible. That, I think you will find Bernard, is what passes for customer service these days :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 19 Aug 2015, 18:22 #4 

Duncan
Apologies, but first I'm going to be pedantic. Haggling, not bartering. Unless the dealers going to let you part pay in cabbages.

I have to agree the attitude of the dealer is rubbish though. Last used car we bought they told us to bring the car back when we'd finished. Mind you there wasn't a fat lot of fuel. But the dealer was for the most part excellent. I too would have told a dealer with that attitude where to get off. I did a similar thing once when trying to buy windows.

Posted 19 Aug 2015, 20:27 #5 

Dave
Duncan wrote:Apologies, but first I'm going to be pedantic. Haggling, not bartering. Unless the dealers going to let you part pay in cabbages..

Fair cop! Barter: To exchange (goods or services) for other goods or services without using money.

Having said that, living in Lincolnshire, when we bought our last car it took quite a few days to trailer all the cabbages to the dealer......

Posted 19 Aug 2015, 21:05 #6 

PaulT
Just wondering.......do garages get plagued by people asking for test drives from people who have no intention of buying but passes the time, just as some tour new housing developments on a Sunday.

Perhaps some areas are more prevalent to 'joy riders'.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 19 Aug 2015, 21:08 #7 

Duncan
Maybe try another brand. It could be the popularity of the brand making dealers like that? There are still some dealers out there who don't have that attitude though.

Posted 19 Aug 2015, 21:34 #8 

Bernard
Without doubt the dealer is trying not to spend money up front but I used to know a dealer with that attitude; he made a living. However, he sold out to a young guy whose every car is fully prepared and ready to go before being put on show. That guy is making serious money now and it is mainly down to attitude to the customer.

If the salesman today had any perception he should have been able to tell that if someone travels 40 miles with a pocket full of money to see a car then there is a good chance that he is a potential punter. He has now lost an almost certain sale of a somewhat difficult car to sell. (Petrol, everyone still wants the Satan's fuel version)

Posted 19 Aug 2015, 22:01 #9 

Arctic
(Trader)
That sort of salesman will not be taking home much bonus, when we went to view our Freelander we were given the keys and allowed to take a test drive on our own, and we were gone at least 30 minutes, when we arrived back we were still given at least another half hour to look the car over before the sales person asked us if we were interested and had we found any points that they needed to look at specific.

How are they going to sell the car without giving anyone a test drive utter madness in my opinion.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 19 Aug 2015, 23:55 #10