Can bus or not can bus by pnesbitt

• Related topics: (no related topics)

pnesbitt
Hello everyone,
New to the forum. I have recently acquired a 2005 rover 2.0 CDTi connoisseur SE with 110000 kms on the clock and I am over the moon with it. Don't know why I did'nt get one of these earlier! I would like to change the nav system (Harman Cardom highline system),and am thinking about buying one from Shenzeng in Chuna. They have asked me if the car has can bus, but I don't have any technical manual - does anybody know? I know the car has a BMW engine so I suspect it has. Also they ask if the connectors at the rear are white and blue - does anyone know?........I dont want to remove the unit just to see the connectors. Grateful for any assistance

Posted 17 Mar 2013, 14:31 #1 

Duncan
The car has CAN (Bus Controller Area Network) bus, but not for the radio. Only the engine, automatic gearbox, ABS (Antilock Braking System) and instrument pack are on CAN. The radio / navigation and so on use BMW Kbus (also known as Ibus).

Posted 17 Mar 2013, 19:24 #2 

pnesbitt
Thanks Duncan........any idea about the connectors ?

Posted 17 Mar 2013, 20:09 #3 

Duncan
There are lots of connectors, and some are white and some are blue.

The bit you can see is only part of the system, It's the screen and cassette deck. The navigation computer is in the boot, the TV tuner and radio tuner are in the spare wheel well.

I don't know anything about the Chinese units so can't advise what you need to tell them to get something that works.

Posted 17 Mar 2013, 20:28 #4 

pnesbitt
OK, time to go trawling for pics and info......thanks for your help

Posted 17 Mar 2013, 20:52 #5 

JakeWilson
When I had one of these Chinese DDin things, it plugged straight into the main ICE harness of the car. On a highline set up, you would unplug the highline loom and connect the ddin into the main harness at the front of the car. (Simplest way)

You would, however loose the amplifier and also the subwoofer, as these are connected through the satelite navigation.

For what it's worth, I would strongly consider upgrading the highline system, with BMW kit from e-bay (mk4 nav drive etc)

Posted 17 Mar 2013, 20:59 #6