Burst pipe and central heating by Bermudan 75

Bermudan 75
Have returned this evening from Conwy to discover that a water pipe joint has burst.

The pipe is located outside so there has been no damage to the house.

The pipe in question was the hot water pipe that runs up to a loft conversion, so it has been leaking warm/hot water.

I have turned the water off at the mains until I can repair the leak in the morning.

My question is, as the house uses a combi boiler can I still run the central heating with the water mains turned off?

My logic says that it should be possible due to the sealed system nature of a combi dhw/heating boiler.

Does anyone know if my logic is correct ?

:cheers:

Mike

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 22:47 #1 

Duncan
I don't know, but the logic sounds right.

Trouble is I don't know how the DHW gets hot. I wouldn't expect it to be direct, as the water would overheat when the taps were off. I think there's a water / water exchanger, that is the primary water is heated and a diverter valve directs it to CH or DHW heat exchanger.

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 10:16 #2 

Mad-Monkey
Yes you should be fine to run the boiler with the hot water turned off. Just turn it off underneath the boiler where the cold supply enters. The CH is a closed system, so long as the pressure is ok it will continue as normal, flick the boiler over to CH only and the boiler wont even notice the water is off.

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 10:21 #3 

Bermudan 75
All sorted now, went to B&Q this morning andd have now inserted an on/off valve in the burst pipe.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 16:54 #4 

SpongeBob
Sounds like a job well-done :thumbsup: Seems communal collective knowledge can fix anything ;) :)

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 21:12 #5 

takestock
Short term should be OK. However the plate to plate heatexchanger ( C/H water to D/H water) is designed to have water pressure in both sides. Having only water in the C/H side would certainly seek out any weak points.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 21:24 #6 

MN190
They are also designed to work independent of each other.You can have hot water without central heating and central heating without hot water

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 22:07 #7 

Duncan
I'd listen to Dave. He does know what he's talking about on this subject.

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 22:35 #8