Braking noise on Rover 75 by Mickspa

Mickspa
Hi. I have a grating/rubbing noise coming from my front brake only at low speed's (10 mph)and I can feel it through the brake peddle.
I have changed the Pad, Disc's and the callipers and still it grates. I'm baffled. Help please. Cheers Mike

Posted 07 Dec 2015, 13:16 #1 

PaulT
ABS (Antilock Braking System) problems?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Dec 2015, 13:50 #2 

Bermudan 75
I have the same problem and it comes and goes,as above at low speed.

Posted 07 Dec 2015, 16:52 #3 

Devilish
Feeling it through the pedal sounds like ABS to me too, possibly a sensor, it is as though below 10mph the system is sporadically being told the front wheels have stopped rotating activating the ABS.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 08 Dec 2015, 09:05 #4 

Mickspa
Devilish wrote:Feeling it through the pedal sounds like ABS to me too, possibly a sensor, it is as though below 10mph the system is sporadically being told the front wheels have stopped rotating activating the ABS.

Thanks Devilish,it did cross my mind about ABS, but i thought that would be more pulse'y and this just fells like a rubbing. I may get the garage to change the ABS sensor in the front. I hard they can be a pain to get out.
Thanks Mick

Posted 16 Dec 2015, 14:09 #5 

Bermudan 75
Had my nearside one replaced in February, it had to be drilled out. This weekend I will clean the contacts on the sensor just in case that might be all that it needs.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 16 Dec 2015, 16:40 #6 

Devilish
Mickspa wrote:
Devilish wrote:Feeling it through the pedal sounds like ABS to me too, possibly a sensor, it is as though below 10mph the system is sporadically being told the front wheels have stopped rotating activating the ABS.

Thanks Devilish,it did cross my mind about ABS, but i thought that would be more pulse'y and this just fells like a rubbing. I may get the garage to change the ABS sensor in the front. I hard they can be a pain to get out.
Thanks Mick

well it is a pulse but feels like grating metal on metal through the pedal which is what you first described. The thing is if the brakes are slammed on below 10mph the car should practically stop dead, so it will be hard to get the feel at such low speed, have you tried to lock the front wheels at that speed to check the ABS, better still get a garage to put it on their rolling road.

Posted 17 Dec 2015, 04:51 #7 

Devilish
Rover418275 wrote:Had my nearside one replaced in February, it had to be drilled out. This weekend I will clean the contacts on the sensor just in case that might be all that it needs.

Cheers

Mike

When you had the sensor replaced Mike did it cure the fault, and it has recently returned. Hard to believe it is sensor again. Do either of you have ETC. If the sensor is ok which is the first thing I would eliminate, then my guess is the modulator. All I know is the ECU (Engine Control Unit) is built in, and the software is different on a diesel, ETC modulators are different also.
A T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session may also be needed to bleed the system.

The only other thing I can think of that causes the symptoms you describe is a worn wheel bearing, this can also cause erratic ABS activation at slow speeds.

If you have replaced the rotors, callipers and pads, and the bearing is ok, it must be ABS

Posted 17 Dec 2015, 05:47 #8