Brake Disc Retaining Screw by Bermudan 75

Bermudan 75
I am presently replacing all of the brake discs (Borg & Beck) from DMGRS. The front set went on with no problems, however the rear set, although seating level all around on the new wheel bearing housing cannot be secured with the original Disc Retaining Screw.

There is movement by way of a rocking motion away from the wheel bearing housing.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this problem?

Thanks

Mike

Posted 27 Apr 2022, 16:27 #1 

Arctic
(Trader)
Check the inside of the drum disc for any debris or moulding fault, maybe the drum is warped ?
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 28 Apr 2022, 08:53 #2 

Bermudan 75
Hi Steve, when the disc is placed over the new bearing housing it is nice and flush with no movement. The retaining screw was/is a tight fit into the housing. Even when screwed in as far as it will go, there is movement. When I fit two wheel nuts the disc stays flush with no movement. So the drum is not warped.

The retaining screw fits easily into the original bearing housing, so there is more than likely a fault with the new housings.

I will return the new bearing housings and get some genuine OEM.

Thanks for your reply Steve.

Now to get one of the Torx T50 bolts off the back plate, which is refusing to budge.

Mike

Posted 28 Apr 2022, 09:07 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Bermudan 75 wrote:Hi Steve, when the disc is placed over the new bearing housing it is nice and flush with no movement. The retaining screw was/is a tight fit into the housing. Even when screwed in as far as it will go, there is movement. When I fit two wheel nuts the disc stays flush with no movement. So the drum is not warped.

The retaining screw fits easily into the original bearing housing, so there is more than likely a fault with the new housings.

I will return the new bearing housings and get some genuine OEM.

Thanks for your reply Steve.

Now to get one of the Torx T50 bolts off the back plate, which is refusing to budge.

Mike

Hi Mike apply a little heat to the torx it should move then.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 30 Apr 2022, 08:50 #4 

Duncan
Bear in mind, the disc retaing screw doesn't do any real holding. It's the clamping once the wheel is on and torqued up That little screw wouldn't take the forces of braking. I have seen cars without that retaining screw at all, by design.

Posted 03 May 2022, 17:12 #5 

Bermudan 75
I have now fitted a set of genuine MGR housings and the problem has gone. The none genuine parts must be faulty and will be returned.

Posted 04 May 2022, 15:02 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
Bermudan 75 wrote:I have now fitted a set of genuine MGR housings and the problem has gone. The none genuine parts must be faulty and will be returned.

Hi Mike how did you get the torx screw out in the end :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 05 May 2022, 22:10 #7 

Bermudan 75
Hi Steve, I was fitting a new back plate assembly, so I just 'hacked' the old one off. This left me with space to hacksaw off a section of the Torx screw head. I then used a mole grip to undo the screw. The Torx screws had at sometime been over tightened, they only need 9nm. All of the Torx screws have been replaced with hex screws.

By the way do you know what size the retaining screws are for the rear heat shield? I can't find anything to fit and the item is no longer shown on Rimmers.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 06 May 2022, 16:52 #8 

Arctic
(Trader)
Bermudan 75 wrote:Hi Steve, I was fitting a new back plate assembly, so I just 'hacked' the old one off. This left me with space to hacksaw off a section of the Torx screw head. I then used a mole grip to undo the screw. The Torx screws had at sometime been over tightened, they only need 9nm. All of the Torx screws have been replaced with hex screws.

By the way do you know what size the retaining screws are for the rear heat shield? I can't find anything to fit and the item is no longer shown on Rimmers.

Cheers

Mike

Mike all heat shield bolts are 6mm thread with 10mm head but you will most likely need big washers if they have corroded use alloy washers as metal will just corroded the heat shields again over time.

Image1
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 07 May 2022, 09:31 #9 

Bermudan 75
Thanks Steve, I used a certain bit of software on my laptop to view the parts list for this item back in 2003. The part number (NLA) is FYG10007 also known as a Bolt Washer M6 x 10.

The heat shield is a new part so should last with wide washers, as you say Steve. However I have fitted rubber washers between the aluminum of the heat shield and the steel of the car.

Posted 07 May 2022, 10:16 #10