Black Smoke and plenty of it... by Cowley_MOA

Cowley_MOA
I'm in the process of buying a 2001 Rover 75 Diesel Tourer which is making a lot of black smoke from the exhaust.

The car starts fine, runs fine and drives fine. However when you put your foot on the gas it kicks out a lot of black smoke. Before I order a new MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is there anything else this is likely to be?
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 26 Jul 2011, 19:40 #1 

DeuxGazoles
Could be many things............blocked air filter, choked EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve), leak in induction system & many more but try the simple stuff first ie unplug the MAF & see if that helps, check the filter etc
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 26 Jul 2011, 19:51 #2 

weeman
My car was doing the same after I hit a badger, turned out to be the intercooler O-Rings, very cheap repair ;) so finger crossed for you.

Posted 27 Jul 2011, 07:39 #3 

MrB
Could also be the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) filter. These have generally never been replaced by the previous owner as they were not listed a s a service item by Rover.

About £45 off eBay for the genuine BMW/Land Rover part and as I say probably needs replacing whether it is the cause or not.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 27 Jul 2011, 20:14 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
PCV Filter £45 i presume this is for the whole lot a complete change over, mine tourer was blowing out some black smoke when i first got it only when you floored it, i change the PCV filter, done the o_rings change air filter cleaned out the EGR change oil give it a good Italian tune up on the M6 and its been fine ever since.

Intercooler rings fitted below.
new-intercooler-o-rings-fitted-viton-cdt-cdti-t3199.html
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 01 Aug 2011, 10:11 #5