New Intercooler O-Rings fitted Viton CDT/CDTI by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Members.

Another job sorted today i replaced the intercooler O-rings with the Viton rings very easy job 45mins in total and that was taking photo's.

The intercooler is located at the bottom of the main radiator, and this is how it is possible to replace the O-rings with out taking the bumper off, by removing the push in elbow.

First locate the jubilee clip on the right in photo 1 and loosen then remove the hose photo 2

Next bend the hose underneath the intercooler joint photo 3

Now push hose down a little further photo 4

This will give you access to the bottom jubilee clip photo 5 as you can see the jubilee clip is facing the wrong way to undo.

But lets not panic a little further in and up to the right is the nut fixing the push in elbow to the car this is what we need to undo and remove photo 6

With the hose bent back you can insert a socket onto the nut photo 7

This then can be undone with a socket ratchet or in my case a bendy socket piece both will do the job photo 8 (nut is 8mm)

Once removed you can now pull up the elbow with hose attached and feed backwards out of the engine compartment you may want or have to unclip the sensor wire on the joint in photo 1 i did it helps just that little more. Now removed and away from the car inspect and clean hose and elbow remove the old rings photo 9 note how it as enlarged

After cleaning and inspecting the hose i remove the elbow so when i fit it back later i can set the jubilee clip facing up for easy removal next time if needed. At the same time note how the hose as rubbed on the car body and started to wear, i will now wrap this with insulation tape. photo 10

Photo 11 old and new rings top are old ones note how they have enlarged

New Viton O-rings fitted to elbow ready to be inserted back into it's radiator housing photo 12

Lubricate the new rings with silicone or in my case good old vaseoline with the extra room now hose is not fitted pop the elbow back into place lining up the elbow bracket hole photo 13

Insert 8mm fixing bolt tighten it up,photo 14

Then with the jubilee clip facing the right way up fit the hose to the elbow then to the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) valve joint tighten up both jubilee clips refit sensor clip jobs done. taped up hose for more protection from rubbing on body.

photo pic of location of O-Rings

Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 25 Mar 2011, 23:46 #1 

Duncan
Excellent contribution, thanks.

I still have to find time to do mine, but I need to take the bumper off.

I don't usually take pictures, but I've got hold of an old camera which won't matter if it gets mucky. It certainly helps other people to see it in pictures!

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 18:43 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
Nano job Duncan
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 29 Jun 2011, 03:06 #3 

takestock
I think Duncan and the rest of the elders will just step back and let you get on with all the work at the nano now, I mean, shame to let all your recent experience go to waste ;)

Superb How to :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 Jun 2011, 18:20 #4 

Duncan
I'd do it at the Nano, but I'm bringing the V6, so it'll have to be another time.

Posted 29 Jun 2011, 18:26 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
Phew.
got off there light ;) :lol: no really if anyone wants any help i am more than willing to in anyway i can. Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 30 Jun 2011, 22:04 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Printable version now archived and available here. intercooler-o-rings-fitted-viton-cdt-cdti.html

Well done Arctic quality piece of work.

Posted 01 Jul 2011, 19:47 #7 

mark d3
well following artics photos mine arrived today you might get to do mine at the next nano LOL joking i will probably do them by then
mark

Posted 04 Aug 2011, 20:21 #8 

Duncan
Well, if I can find the bits I have a series of jobs that need the front end off, and the tourer is coming this time.

I'd like to do them myself with help, and a photographer to document woulkd be appreciated! If I can find where I hid the bits, resistor upgrade, intercooler o rings, and a few other bits will be done.

Posted 05 Aug 2011, 21:09 #9