Behind the dials tmc unit by JakeWilson

JakeWilson
Mornin' all,

Just a nosey investigation really - but if I have a double din, with no tmc or rds, then can the tmc from Les unit work?

Best,

Jake

Posted 20 Aug 2010, 10:43 #1 

Zeb
No reason why it shouldn't? You could try putting mine in yours if you like? Assuming you have the connection leads in place?

Posted 20 Aug 2010, 10:50 #2 

Duncan
Don't want to sound like I'm being picky, but can you clarify?

I think you mean the trafficmaster unit. It does fit behind the pack, and Les is selling them.

However it's not TMC, but something quite different.

TMC is broadcast on the FM radio (by Classic FM in the UK) and the satnav decodes the signals.

The trafficmaster receives signals from boxes or posts at the side of the road. The blue ones that look like cameras.

If you do mean the trafficmaster box, then it will connect to a highline message centre pack, not the lowline. That is, unless you already have the lowline navigation
, when it can still be done but requires a switch.

Posted 20 Aug 2010, 17:33 #3 

JakeWilson
Duncan wrote:Don't want to sound like I'm being picky, but can you clarify?

I think you mean the trafficmaster unit. It does fit behind the pack, and Les is selling them.

However it's not TMC, but something quite different.

TMC is broadcast on the FM radio (by Classic FM in the UK) and the satnav decodes the signals.

The trafficmaster receives signals from boxes or posts at the side of the road. The blue ones that look like cameras.

If you do mean the trafficmaster box, then it will connect to a highline message centre pack, not the lowline. That is, unless you already have the lowline navigation
, when it can still be done but requires a switch.

Hi Duncan,

No worries at all - my apologies for being vague.

I was referring to the Trafficmaster box from Les, not TMC signals. I thought the two were one and the same.

Although I am in no position to follow up on it as yet.. it was just something I was having a ponder about.

Thank you for the clarification.

Jake :)

Posted 20 Aug 2010, 19:01 #4 

Duncan
No probs.

If you have a hiline message centre instrument pack, and no loline nav, its a fairly easy fit.

Posted 20 Aug 2010, 19:51 #5 

JakeWilson
Duncan wrote:No probs.

If you have a hiline message centre instrument pack, and no loline nav, its a fairly easy fit.

Thanks Duncan, any idea where I can find the information for the loom that's needed.

All the best,

Jake

Posted 20 Aug 2010, 20:28 #6 

Duncan
Simple thing really.

Four wires.

Pin 1 is a aux feed. You could take it from the back of the radio, white light green.
Pin 2 is ground
Pin 3 goes to pin 10 on the instrument pack. (the black connector)
Pin 4 I think is just a length of wire as an aerial. Can anyone confirm?

Posted 20 Aug 2010, 20:51 #7 

Bermudan 75
I think I may have a diagram or such like from when we fitted mine at the November Wolves nano-meet, I will have a search, see you in a few days.............

:cheers:

Mike

Posted 20 Aug 2010, 20:55 #8 

Bermudan 75
This may be useful.

Using cruise control switch as on off switch for Trafficmaster.

You could do, but it is not a normal on/off switch, it is 'off' until you press it 'on' and will stay on until you press it again or the feed is switched off, when it will switch off and stay off until you press it again - so you would have to press it 'on' each time you want to hear it, rather than 'off' when you don't.

Terminal 1 -Ignition feed
Terminal 3 - Earth
Terminal 5 - Trafficmaster loom Green/White cable
Terminal 2 - Illumination, connect to the Red/White cable of one of the other switches

Posted 20 Aug 2010, 20:59 #9