Alternators: beware when doing an oil change by Duncan

Duncan
It's been a theory of mine, and others, for a while, that the alternators on the diesels can fail if oil is spilled on them.

Today I stripped an alternator I had been given some time ago that was no longer working. I'd been told the brushes were worn out, but when I took it apart, in fact the brushes had plenty of life, but were sticking badly in their holder. This was due to the dust they produce as they wear being stuck together by the spilled oil.

Whether the oil also had an effect by increasing the rate of wear so there was more dust, I don't know, but the oil was certainly causing the dust to become semi-solid, and the brushes were not moving out fully in the holders.

I would pop this alternator back on a car to prove the theory, but as it's such a bitch of a job, I don't fancy doing it and then finding there's something else wrong, so I'm figuring out a way of testing off the car.

In the mean time, for gawds sake, protect the alternator when doing an oil change, and make sure your garage does it if they service your car.

Posted 25 Jun 2011, 18:53 #1 

JohnDotCom
A timely reminder to us all Duncan thanks. Bruvs garage has replaced several alternators failed due to oil spilled in them, a costly error sometimes caused by the quick, cheap oil change guys.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 26 Jun 2011, 16:00 #2 

weeman
Your right!, also make sure your dipstick is pushed firmly home as oil can spray from here aswell ;)

Posted 23 Jul 2011, 21:34 #3 

PaulT
Well, yesterday the battery symbol came on and occassionally the 'Charge Fault' illuminates. Nice to think I could give it a good spray with a cleaner and it would work ok. Sadly, at 197k I think it has probably worn out!

Supposed to be travelling down to SW Fance on Friday (thankfully it did not go over there) - think I will need to delay that by a day or so so that I can replace the alternator - typical happened after the factors closed but would prefer to fit a 2nd hand one as the car will be going soon.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 07:27 #4 

weeman
Paul, sorry to be a pain but the alternator is a total pain to do. Allow about 5hrs and I'd be inclined to go for a new one given the size of the job, done mine last year and was around £120 if I can remember for alternator from local X-Part garage (on an exchange basis).
Good Luck and hope you get sorted for your trip.

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 15:53 #5 

Duncan
I don't think spray cleaner would fix it, as the crud collects inside the brush housing. I think it needs to be dissasembled.

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 16:27 #6 

PaulT
weeman wrote:Paul, sorry to be a pain but the alternator is a total pain to do. Allow about 5hrs and I'd be inclined to go for a new one given the size of the job, done mine last year and was around £120 if I can remember for alternator from local X-Part garage (on an exchange basis).
Good Luck and hope you get sorted for your trip.

I phoned a factors on Saturday afternoon 'sorry got one at our other branch but they are closed - price is £160'. So I asked 'how much for a recon one'. 'That is a recon one'.

As for getting it sorted for the trip I am reliably informed by management that failure is not an option.
Paul

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 19:49 #7 

PaulT
Duncan wrote:I don't think spray cleaner would fix it, as the crud collects inside the brush housing. I think it needs to be dissasembled.

Duncan that was very tongue in cheek - at 197k it must be well past its best. Once the old one is out I will have a good look at it.

My big worry is that it is not unknown for a newly reconditioned unit to failure very soon after being put in to use.

Last night charged the battery and the charger showed fully charged. Drove about 15 miles and then drove back about 6 hours later. About 10 miles in to the return it informed me that the battery was low, the radio died, ABS (Antilock Braking System) and SRS (Supplementary Restraint System) warings as well as a pictorial volt meter showing all was not well. Got home, stopped the engine and tried to restart and there was virtually no life in the battery. Reasoned that if the alternator was working then the low battery warning would not have shown.
Paul

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 19:56 #8