A true reflection? by raistlin

raistlin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17986383

This story encapsulates, as far as I'm concerned, the real ethos of this year's Olympic games.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 08 May 2012, 12:57 #1 

Zeb
This is not new....happens every year in Skeg in preparation for the holiday season...often done in an unscrupulous and illegal manner...:(

Posted 08 May 2012, 13:00 #2 

raistlin
Perhaps not new Carl, as you say, but indicative, I think, of the suggestion that, far from the Olympic ideal, these games are firmly rooted in the worship of Mammon... for the few at least, and further, that this is merely a reflection of present day rip-off britain (I use lower-case b advisedly).
Paul

Posted 08 May 2012, 13:57 #3 

Zeb
Unfortunately I think the malaise is international....

Posted 08 May 2012, 14:08 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I can only assume these evictees don't have a tenancy contract. Which would offer them all the protection the law can afford.
If they accepted a tenancy without a tenancy contract then they deserve all they get, or don't get. Blatant stupidity and I have no sympathy.
Taking on a tenancy without a statutory agreement allows unscrupulous landlords to prosper, it is illegal to offer premises to rent without a contract AFAIK

I do, however agree, the Olympic games are much more about making money than sport.

Posted 08 May 2012, 15:37 #5 

Zeb
Quite probably they - or at least a proportion of them - have a perfectly legitimate contract...but the landlords are willing to act outside the law unfortunately..

Posted 08 May 2012, 15:40 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
They may act outside the law in the first instance, but this does not stop them being taken to task retrospectively.

Posted 08 May 2012, 15:46 #7 

raistlin
Mick wrote:this does not stop them being taken to task retrospectively.

After they've made a killing.
Paul

Posted 08 May 2012, 16:11 #8