A salutary lesson by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
As some of you may recall, I tend to recommend Interparcel to anybody looking for a good courier service.

I now find myself having to modify that recommendation.

I arranged with Interparcel to send a tablet computer and paid the extra to ensure that it was fully covered in the event of loss or damage.

I know lots of people who send that sort of thing on a regular basis.

However, in a moment of idleness, I looked at their prohibited / restricted goods list. It's HUGE.

There, in the "restricted" list was "Computers and / or monitors".

Apparently, such items are deemed "unsuitable" for transport and the sender does so at their own risk. That is to say, the sender has NO CLAIM whatsoever, should the item be damaged or lost.

That caused me a moment of consternation and as a result, I have now cancelled the shipment in favour of... would you believe it... Royal Mail Special Delivery.

I've since been informed that Parcels-2-Go and others of their ilk also have the same draconian rules.

What made it even more frightening was the courier I chose from Interparcel's list, all unwitting, was MY HERMES. Suffice to say, google them and read the reviews.

My god, that was a close shave.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 20:06 #1 

yl51hfb
MyHermes have always been fine with me just a little slow. I wouldnt trust Royal Mail as there insurance terms are even worse, many a bad experiance with that.

However all people will have good and bad things to say abouy things.

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 20:19 #2 

Duncan
It does seem My Hermes is variable. Personally from my experience I would rather tie my parcels to a rabid dog. At least it will bark at you, which is some kind of communication.

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 20:25 #3 

raistlin
The individual couriers apart though, aren't you just a little surprised at the list of, if not prohibited, then restricted items?
Paul

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 20:28 #4 

Trebor
Duncan wrote:It does seem My Hermes is variable. Personally from my experience I would rather tie my parcels to a rabid dog. At least it will bark at you, which is some kind of communication.

Thats a real gem Duncan !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 20:28 #5 

yl51hfb
raistlin wrote:The individual couriers apart though, aren't you just a little surprised at the list of, if not prohibited, then restricted items?

Nope part of the life we live in, PC culture nodoubt down to some EU directive or the alike.

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 20:30 #6 

Duncan
On the other hand, look at it this way. Drop your lappy and break the screen. Parcel it up, send it to a mate, claim on the insurance.

Maybe that's what they are worried about? Maybe it had been happening a lot (or they suspected it had)?

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 20:42 #7 

raistlin
That's a good idea Duncan - what's your address? :lol:
Paul

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 21:01 #8 

Mad-Monkey
I've always used UPS with no problems and the guy at does our area is a nice chap. It's £9ish for 48hr delivery for pretty much anything. Not good for small things but large things are always sent that way.

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 07:35 #9 

ceedy
I had a Wii delivered for SWMBO last Xmas, from Amazon and it came via Home delivery network .
Bloke chucked it at me and said been some floods mate!! .
He was gone in a flash .. and I saw the parcel was soaking wet and soggy over 30% .
Luckily it was double boxed .. but thought afterwards , how deep were these floods ??
Or may he just dropped it in a puddle. Wot a twonk!!
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 18:23 #10 

Mad-Monkey
Argh I hate HDN! They left two Wiis in an unlocked glass fronted porch in full view! Ok they were in a card board box, but a thief will take anything on the off chance. They're also very good and knocking very quietly and then leaving a card!

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 22:22 #11 

raistlin
I remember once being confronted by a very irate woman from My Herpes who, when told that we were refusing to accept an article told me that it was "a legal requirement". That, of course, convinced me.... NOT :lol:

SO she took it away... after I'd eventually shut the door in her face.

Curiously it re-appeared at 02:15 the next morning, thrown from a moving car onto our drive. Isn't it amazing what CCTV tells you? That's professionalism for you. Valued at £400 as well and requiring a signature.

Luckily for the company who sent it, we were honest enough to tell them it had arrived and got them to arrange recovery (using a different company).
Paul

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 22:36 #12