2.5 vs diesel by PaulT

PaulT
For those who have (had) both how much is the maintenance of the 2.5 greater than on a diesel.

And how many less mpg does the petrol one get?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 29 Aug 2015, 12:16 #1 

Borg Warner
Belts have to be the biggest cost on a V6, as for mpg all depends on manual v auto's, urban - rural - motorway? Sure someone here will be able to give a realistic answer on that one though. My V6 hippo does 20 on the commute and 25 on a run, but is is a large brick shaped automatic.

Gary M.

Posted 29 Aug 2015, 14:08 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
MGZT 180 Sport Auto V6 2.5, averages 28 mpg. 32 on motorway without A/C active. (61K miles and coming up to 11 years old). Only ever done oil changes, brake pads, coolant, brake fluid. Auto box fluid, plugs and the belts were changed at 6 years 40K miles. It'll need fluid and belts done again in the next 2 years.
The rear exhaust box has a pinhole leak so that will need changing at some point, not bad for it's age, I have an OEM box in store ready to go on.
Still drives like a new car.

Posted 29 Aug 2015, 15:40 #3 

PaulT
Thanks for the replies. Think the mpg has ruled out a 2.5.

We spend 5 months of the year at our house in France which is very rural. When we were there last the crankshaft damper / pulley decided to fail. Rimmers and DHL were brilliant, ordered one at midday one day and delivered midday next day. Problem was undoing the bolt holding it on (CDTi). So tight that an iar impact wrench did nothing and a long 1/2" socket bar with a piece of scaffold pole on the end merely bent so stopped before it snapped. Ended up taking it to a garage who commented that it was rather tight. I was concerned that the bolt might shear hence fun and games.

In the UK we have two cars so no problem if one goes wrong. But living in the middle of nowhere in France big problem. So the thought is to buy another Tourer (rear part for the dog) and have one left there sORN'd whilst the other one is taxed and each brought back to the UK for MOTs etc.

Novelty at the moment, diesel is cheaper than petrol in the UK but in France it has always been far cheaper so an additional diesel is the order of the day.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 29 Aug 2015, 17:34 #4