Windows 8 on a desktop PC by raistlin (Page 2 of 2)

Duncan
Interestingly I was looking at prices for operating systems, and also noticed that Win 7 is considerably more expensive than 8.

You might find your best bet is to buy win 7 and install it assuming drivers are easily available. Similar things happened when Vista replaced XP, many people went back to XP.

Posted 06 Jan 2013, 19:05 #21 

Jürgen
Duncan wrote:and also noticed that Win 7 is considerably more expensive than 8.

I'm not surprised. If you want quality you've to be prepared to spend a bit more.

SCNR
:gmc:

I personally would rather look for an OEM version of 7 (as long as still available), then upgrade to 9 later on (assuming MS will get it right).

Posted 06 Jan 2013, 19:37 #22 

podge
Jürgen has a very good point,also the way H.P. have configured the drives,it is not possible to uninstall the consumer versions of W8.I am going to try and persevere for a couple of weeks but to be honest,I would rather sell it all on ( 3 takers allready!) for a small loss and get a W7 system.

Posted 07 Jan 2013, 21:20 #23 

raistlin
OK - with one of THESE , Windows 8 makes a great deal more sense on a desktop :)

I'm actually starting to appreciate it :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 11 Jan 2013, 19:55 #24 

Mick
(Site Admin)
raistlin wrote:OK - with one of THESE , Windows 8 makes a great deal more sense on a desktop :)

I'm actually starting to appreciate it :lol:

Very similar to gestures on OSX, either with a built in touch pad on portables or the standalone option for desktops, also available using the magic mouse with a cunning piece of extra software. Windows is as usual playing catch up several years late. ;)

Posted 11 Jan 2013, 21:49 #25 

raistlin
Well, after several days of using Windows 8 via the trackpad, I'm now thinking of getting a Windows 8 tablet :lol:

Combined with getting rid of my iPhone for a Windows 8 phone I seem to have undergone a sea-change in my computing habits. Mind you, fingers are now worn down to the first knuckle :lol:
Paul

Posted 19 Jan 2013, 17:44 #26 

Trebor
Im still struggling with the old mouse set up, and find myself using keyboard shortcuts more and more Paul
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 19 Jan 2013, 18:19 #27 

raistlin
You're welcome to try this trackpad out if you want Rob :)
Paul

Posted 19 Jan 2013, 18:25 #28 

starbug2
as the next call of duty game is not compatible with xp (the barstools) i have to upgrade , i have got windows 8 fairly cheap as a pre-order but not dared to put it on the desktop yet , another thought is to use this laptops vister if i can to the desk top and put 8 on this ..... not had the nerve yet, getting old you know i don't know all this tecy stuff....

Posted 20 Jan 2013, 09:22 #29 

Trebor
raistlin wrote:You're welcome to try this trackpad out if you want Rob :)

that would be great Paul, would love to give it a try
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 20 Jan 2013, 13:12 #30 

raistlin
PMed Rob
Paul

Posted 20 Jan 2013, 13:24 #31 

woolleysox
I have recently purchased a laptop with windows 8 im not impressed.. I have an issue with the internet although I have the pop up blocker on im still getting pop ups and they are a pig to close Im tempted to go back to windows 7 any ideas?

Rob.
Woolleysox

midlandsnanomeets.co.uk

Posted 03 Mar 2013, 17:19 #32