Widescreen and Mk4. Parts and repairs? by Duncan

Duncan
OK, so I fully intended to keep the front display standard on my hiline, sticking with the 4:3 tuner and upgrading to a BMW Mk3 so I can have some better features.

BUT: now I've obtained a part system with a widescreen head admittedly with a scratch on the screen, and a Mk4 drive albeit with a non functional DVD drive. Believe me they were still worth it at the price.

Questions: How do I properly identify a 16:9 tuner? I guess none of the Rover parts were ever widescreen. What's the right price for one?
Next, has anyone done a repair on the DVD? I've seen replacement lasers for less than £20, I'm told drives are about £80, and repair services for £150 or thereabouts. All vastly cheaper than buying a new full Mk4, which I'd not planned to do.

Posted 07 May 2013, 19:21 #1 

JakeWilson
Best price I've paid is a fiver in a scrap yard for one, but at the same time have paid £50 for one online.

This is the list I use for reference: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/230716/

My widescreen came with a scratch on the screen too, however from the drivers seat you can't see it! Is it a cassette version or CD?

Posted 07 May 2013, 20:39 #2 

Duncan
Thanks Jake. It's a cassette version, but I'll use it with an intravee anyway, so I can use the Cassette input as a second aux. Thanks for the link to the part numbers, just what I needed. I'll keep an eye open for a sensible price. It looks like the right DVD laser is more like fourty notes, but well worth it if that's the problem. Seems if it reads CDs but not DVDs it confirms a failed DVD laser. That's tomorrows test!

Posted 07 May 2013, 20:52 #3 

Duncan
The good news is the Mk4 works apart from the DVD laser. Searching on various BMW forums, if it won't read a DVD map, try a CD map. If it reads the CD OK, it needs a laser. Found a few places that do just the laser assembly, so I'm hopeful!

So just need to source the tuner!

Posted 08 May 2013, 19:09 #4 

Duncan
Update, in case it helps anyone with a Mk4. It did read a CD so I bought a new laser. Under £40. It was a reasonably straightforward fit, about 25 minutes. I now have a nicely working Mk4!

I may have a widescreen TV soon (with luck) but if I don't get it, does anyone know if the Nav will display OK until I can update the TV?

Posted 15 May 2013, 18:11 #5 

JakeWilson
Yep it all works as per normal, just in 4:3 :-)

Posted 15 May 2013, 21:25 #6