Under Bonnet Rubber Seal Fix by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
Today I was sorting through a load of rear car door seals I have in the shed, good ones from bad ones, a little time later I decided to check my plenums, it was then it dawned on me that the rear door seals would be ideal to replace a worn out or even short under bonnet seal.

The seal that resides on the fire wall and seals the scuttle panel to the front of the body under the bonnet.

Most of the cars either have a full length rubber seal or a short rubber seal with two foam ends that either perish or keep coming loose and stick to the under side of the bonnet when it is raised.

I therefore took of my full length seal to see if the rear door seal could replace a damage seal, or as above replace a short one with the foam ends, below are a few photo of how I went about doing it.

As you can see my seal is a full length one, and touches both wing ends Fig 1/2
Image1

Image2

Rubber seals that runs full length of the scuttle Fig 3
Image3

I removed the old seal from the car Fig 4/5
Image4

Image5

I then started to press on the rear car door seal which are a little thicker onto the car body a scuttle panel from the drivers side Fig 6
Image6

Once it was pressed all along to the passenger side inner wing, i marked it ready for cutting with some snips Fig 7
Image7

I cut the seal to length Fig 8
Image8

The rear car door seal fits perfect and because it is a little thicker it gives a better seal Fig 9
Image9

An added bonus is that one rear door seal is long enough for two lengths so if you have two cars you can do both or a friends car, here you can see the extra length of the door seal next to the original seal Fig 10
Image10

This photo shows the differing thickness of the door seal and the original seal, also the door seal fits tighter onto the scuttle and body of the car. Fig 11
Image11

Finished product the rear door seal fitted in situ Fig 12
Image12

I have a bag full of these and over the week end I will be cutting them to length anyone wish to replace their under bonnet short seal, damaged seal for one of these rear door seals( FOC )they will be at the next nano meet cheers Arctic.
Image13
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 22 Sep 2017, 22:19 #1 

Bernard
Another great idea! It always annoys me that the original seal on my car is forever missing the ends.
Another job for the Nano.

Posted 23 Sep 2017, 07:37 #2 

Jürgen
You've done a good job on that Steve. :thumbsup:

Posted 23 Sep 2017, 10:43 #3 

Duncan
Good job Steve! More parts for re use!

Posted 23 Sep 2017, 18:45 #4 

MrDoodles
Amazing the fixes that you come up with Steve! :clap: :hail:

Posted 23 Sep 2017, 20:36 #5 

Trebor
Nice one Steve nice and simple offer produces a good result
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 29 Sep 2017, 07:32 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
Remember that the blue bag will be at the next nano, I have a feeling these are going to go fast, all cut to length now.

Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 30 Sep 2017, 10:59 #7