Wishbones and rubber bush by stroheim

stroheim
Got an advisory on the bushes (MOT) and I don't know whether it is easier to change the wishbones and bush together or just the bushes.I read some of the bushes are not up to it so I might go OEM on them. Do you think the wishbones on ebay are OK or do I need to change the wishbones ?

Posted 23 May 2012, 13:40 #1 

PaulT
Just changing the bushes is not that difficult apart from access to the bolts is not that easy. You may need to use a drift to get the old bushes off which, if they are very bad may mean that the housing and outer part of the bush comes off and you then need to drift off the inner part. You may also need to drift on the new bush but you can get access to do this.

On my last car I changed both wishbones. One was no problem but the other was fun getting the peg that goes in to the suspension strut out.

One of my wishbones was from eBay and the other from Europart. Both seemed OK. However, one was changed at about 160k and the other at 210k and I sold the car at 220k. Now whether the aftermarket ones will last as long as OE ones I cannot comment.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 24 May 2012, 06:38 #2 

stroheim
Hi thanks for the reply. I think I may just go for quality rubbers and take off the wishbones. I have an 18mm ratchet spanner as recommended. I read somewhere that the tracking has got to be checked afterwards

Posted 24 May 2012, 16:44 #3 

Zeb
I believe powerflex may be producing poly bushes in the very near future...

Posted 24 May 2012, 18:05 #4 

Unclefista
I changed both my bushes a month or two ago, today I needed to change a wishbone so had to remove and refit one side.

It only took me an hour but everything went well.

If your wishbones look even slightly dodgy I'd replace at the same time. It's hardly any more work than just doing the bushes.

Your 18mm ratchet spanner is worth it's weight in gold when you do the job :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Posted 26 May 2012, 23:48 #5 

stroheim
Hi thanks for the info; looking at powerflex, are these too rigid for the Diesel

Posted 31 May 2012, 10:15 #6 

Zeb

Posted 31 May 2012, 13:08 #7 

stroheim
Hi thanks Zeb for the link

Posted 10 Aug 2012, 05:28 #8 

stroheim
Just completed fitting the wishbone rubber bushes; what a job getting the bolts back took me ages . Did some research and used a combination of tips. Couldn't get the G clamp idea to work properly instead I used a short 3/8 socket bar and ground the diameter to fit in the hole, used a jack to raise the axle so that the bush housing was parallel with the fixing frame and bush will then rise above but will be on the same plane as the frame. Then I inserted the ground socket bar extension to align the front hole and took it out and put the bolt in 'bingo' it went in. Tightened the bolt and eased off and put the modified bar in the other hole and that went in easy too. Did the other side in no time

Posted 10 Aug 2012, 05:46 #9