Ultimate Remote project - OEM or third party remote? by raistlin

raistlin
As some of you may know, until now, the Ultimate Remote project has so far been available using either the OEM key fob or a third party key fob.

There have been isolated incidents of the version which uses the OEM key fob behaving erratically and over the past couple of years both Duncan and I have been trying to understand why that occurs and therefore how to rectify it. We know it has something to do with the BMW designed security system but have not, as yet, been able to come up with a work-around that I would be prepared to recommend, although, I'll certainly carry on researching :)

I have now decided to admit defeat, in as much as, I will not recommend the OEM version for the foreseeable future and will ask the Admin here to delete the How-To associated with it. If anybody desperately wants to use the OEM fob, then they can contact me and I will happily provide the How-To, on an individual basis, caveat emptor, as it were :lol:

To be frank, I have used the third party remote version on VeeKay now for several years and it has been rock solid in terms of reliability and is actually more convenient.

For example, there are times when I park the car extremely close to a wall and therefore retract the mirrors prior to parking. It is therefore convenient to use the OEM key fob to lock the car and also to unlock when I return, knowing the mirrors will not extend and hit the wall.

In addition, the third party remote allows Mk1 cars to have remote boot opening and still leaves another channel for future development.

The Quasar Electronics kit that I use myself and recommend is very high quality and, as already stated, totally reliable and, in point of fact, the rolling code method it uses is more secure than the OEM version :) It can be seen HERE

I would like to point out that I have no connection with Quasar, other than to appreciate their products.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 18 May 2012, 10:23 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks Paul, the "Know How" document link has been deleted, however the document itself is still resident on my server so if anybody has difficulty in contacting you for the information they can contact me or Simon for a copy.
Please ask for document:- oem_Key _fob_how_to.pdf

Posted 18 May 2012, 10:41 #2