On thursday i traveled to Wales to pick up my grandson 257mile round trip on this trip i took readings off the OBD (On Board Diagnostics)
After 5mls 74degs
at 23mils traveling at 60mph 74degs
40mils at 70mph 73degs
60mils 65mph 75degs
80mils 70mph 75degs
92mils 70mph 77degs
104mils 70mph 72degs
123mils 70mph and arrived at destination engine idling 84degs
On the way back 152mils covered 70-90mph 75degs
205mils 70-80mph 75degs
End of journey back home idling for about 5mins 82degs i decided to take these readings before i fitted the Gates Thermostat TH01489.
Sunday the 21st August 2011
After stopping at his uncles for a few days i took the grandson back same trip most the temp ever reached on the journey was 78degrees at 30miles into the trip, at 70mph and again at 35mles at 70mph hit some traffic at 173 miles going between 10 -50mph 80degrees so sometime this week i will fit the in-line stat.
Well yesterday i managed to find time to fit the in-line top hose stat got what i needed round me to do the job, spanners dremel tools funnel and a container to catch the coolant which will drain out once the hose is removed.
First take of the engine cover 3 bolts this will give you access to the top hose which the stat fits into this hosr is held on by a stainless steel band which will have to be cut, unless your hose as been removed before and you may have a jubilee clip.
As you can see from Fig1 mine as the stainless steel band which i have started to cut.
I used the black disc which comes with the dremel tool Fig2
After first using this disc i decided it was a bit to large to actually see how the cut was going as you need to be carefull you do not cut into the hose so i changed it for a little pointed metal grinding tip which i did very slowly and kept checking the hose was ok it eventually ground enough for the band to be opend up with some small bull nosed pliers Fig3/4
I was then able to remove the clip and place my funnel with a bit of garden hose attached to it the other end went into my container to catch any coolant Figs 5/6
Now with the coolant collected which was very minimal the hose can be removed i tried to fit the stat with out removing the top hose altogether but found it very hard to push in the stat which is a very tight fit indeed, some have managed to do this but i could not Fig7/8
As you can see after i have silicon greased the stat and inside of the hose i inserted the stat only to find it was very hard to push it home so it was 10mm below the top of the hose so this is the reason i removed the top hose Fig9
With some great effort and a lot of hard pushing i managed to get the stat pushed in the hose 12-14mm the measurement is from the top of the copper bulb on the stat which points toward the engine.Fig10
In this photo i show the stat inserted and the measurement from the body of the stat which is 50mm Fig11
Now the in-line top hose stat is fitted making sure it is central i can replace the hose fit the new stainless jubilee clips and refill with coolant which came out if you do not collect the coolant as i did refill with neat OAT (Organic Acid Technology)
After running the enigne with the expansion tank cap off for about 5mins i turned engine off and re-checked the coolant level and topped up to mark, i then put cap back on re-fitted the engine cover tidy up wash hands etc and took the car for a spin after about 3 miles it was up to 75 at only 30-40 mph looking good carried on driving onto the M54 to get some top end speed up at revs of 2000-3000 at 70mph after about 8miles the temp was reaching 86-87 so nice got stuck in a bit of traffic for about 8mins temp reached 91 once driving it dropped back to 86-88 i have yet to do more testing today while taking the wife to hospital so a bit of stop starting driving once she as been sorted i will take the car for another run and check the temps on the OBD
and will report back also for the rest of the week and up untill the end of the month. Arctic