Sun 20 Oct 2013 Midlands Nano at Teddybears Nursery by Trebor (Page 5 of 6)

Chuckles
Well what a day that was! Mary and I were completely amazed at the number of fellow 'Rovers' at the meet up. Even if a toilet was not available after our three hour journey!!!!

The level of knowledge is unsurpassed. I was always in admiration of the skills of everyone, but the level of concentration, and complete commitment to all those attending was overwhelming.

I am eternally grateful to Duncan and his team, who's determination and perseverance was so admirable. There was a time when I would have totally understood if the job was terminated, but no, even in that terrible downpour he soldiered on. Thank you one and all.

It is a shame we live so far away as we would attend far more meets if we could.

However; It was difficult for us to know who to talk to and indeed who everyone is. Perhaps a suggestion here....
As we all do most of our "chatting" on forums such as this, we are in fact communicating with a user name or avatar or what ever they are called. Perhaps some sort of name tag/badge or similar, so we can all identify each other and then can openly say "Hello Fred!" or what ever. There were so many persons that I would have liked to talk to as indeed would Mary.

Perhaps a 'social' side could be looked into. It was our first at Teddy Bear’s and thought that facilities were very limited due to the numbers attending, whereas the Four Ashes we came to last year, was great. If we can make it next year we would hope to drag our classic Cheltenham 'van (sorry but the "fibreglass shed" popped up again for cara-van) along and make a full weekend of it (if I finished the restoration in time!)

I do hope the “Freeloaders” as mentioned earlier do not spoil such comradery. I feel totally inadequate as my levels of knowledge and expertise pail into insignificance in comparison to those there. I will be a lot happier when I know what I am talking about. But undeterred I intend to keep my very early R75 in as best condition as possible for a long time.

As some sort of contribution, instead of selling to the highest bidder, I will offer my Laser timing belt kit to the club for loan to those game enough to change the belts etc., I will look into the postage problems if there are any, and of course security as I am sure everyone is aware these kits are not cheap. As soon as I have some idea I will post a new thread on the subject. I am always open to suggestions.

Thank you once again one and all for your hospitality and help, and look forward to meeting you all again very soon.
Chuck; Dorset UK.
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent! I now have its Granddad ... A 1963 P5 Coupe'

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 16:55 #81 

raistlin
It was good to meet you Chuck.

Don't forget to look out for your Ultimate Remote module :) I'm perfectly able to modify your car as required if you don't want to do the job yourself, including the somewhat delicate modification of the switch pack.

In fact, following several enquiries, I'm wondering whether there would be any appetite for a new set of modules produced "in house" (David Duncan and I).
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 17:40 #82 

Gren 24
I would like to say a big thank you to all those who helped and and gave there time and advice to me so I could sort my tourer out.I was nice to meet up with friend from the Nano and to meet new ones.I know what Duncan is saying and is true,He puts so much into these meets and asks for nothing in return.It costs nothing to wait and be polite.WE are all there to help each other if we can.

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 18:02 #83 

Chuckles
Thank you Paul, Yes I must start looking for an "Ultimate Remote".

I am tied up this week a bit but will contact you about what I would "like" to have! It is just getting round to using computers and doing sensible postings!

Thank you very much for all your advice

Chuck
Chuck; Dorset UK.
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent! I now have its Granddad ... A 1963 P5 Coupe'

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 18:07 #84 

DaveyC
Well, I for one had a great time. Just a pity i did not get to catch up with you Paul and I only spoke to Steve very briefly but I certainly helped out at this one now I have more confidence in certain jobs and i will be more than happy to help out in future. If you want "an apprentice" for the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) to give you guys a break or an additional pair of hands just let me know as i am more than happy to help and like the I.T. side of things. Failing that, I could just keep folk in line and stop any issues with queue jumping, etc?

Regards,

Dave :-)

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 18:16 #85 

raistlin
DaveyC wrote:Failing that, I could just keep folk in line and stop any issues with queue jumping, etc?

Scary thought Dave - Thoughts of "Hale and Pace" spring, unbidden, to mind :lol:
Paul

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 18:40 #86 

DaveyC
"Der Management" :-)

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 19:43 #87 

Duncan
Nice to meet yourself and Mary, again, Chuck. Thanks for the donation which has gone to the Community funds. Glad we got to the bottom of it, I hate things beating me.

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 20:06 #88 

Chuckles
You are very welcome, and thank you.
Chuck; Dorset UK.

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 20:11 #89 

Trebor
First of all re the toilets, it was not my fault honest guv !

The toilets are usually opened for us by the football club chairman and i spoke to him about the meet a couple of weeks ago but he was away at the weekend which he never mentioned and neither did he pass the message onto the rather snooty woman with attitude who turned up to open up for a christening party at about 11.30 demanding to know who had given us permission to use the venue, how we had got the gate key etc.

I fully expected there to be a football match on and was a bit worried when our numbers kept increasing so much so that the bottom right section we normally occupy was not big enough and we expanded onto their car park, but as time went on and no football traffic arrived i saw it a s a bonus until she turned up

So i moved our cars from her space only to note that for the next 2 hours there were only 3 cars on their car park although more did arrive late afternoon. She also told me there was football on later which was not the case and obviously done to get us to move and just be awkward instead of working together

After i moved the cars i went and told her and asked her to open the toilets but she refused saying she was waiting for the alarm engineer to call as we had set the car park alarms off by parking there, she could have opened the toilets but was again being awkward, so in the end i took my polite voice off and reminded her that as a resident of the lane for over 20 years i had been using the land long before the club was even thought of, i also had permission from the parish council to use it who actually encourage our meets and had given me the gate key, plus i had bothered to speak to her chairman who hadnt bothered to speak to her about us.

My next step is to see the Parish Council as its just not on, we used to have a community room on the site which is now flat to the ground, and the arrangement with the football club was that residents could have use of their facilities in return for them using the land but it seems that at least some people now think it is for their exclusive use.

We still use teddybears as its one of our original venues and popular but may have to restrict numbers, but the main events are the 2 days meets at the Four Ashes which we have 3 times a year and are hoping to continue although the pub landlord is moving on in November and i need to speak to whoever comes in his place

The nano meets have continued to grow and it is now obvious that we need to move with that growth and reconsider all the logistics of the meets, one thing we will be doing courtesy of Mick is to have a much better forum where we can organise ourselves much better, and all things relating to the nano meets, from who is attending, what we can and cant do will all be in one place so watch this space for further developments over the coming weeks and months
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 20:16 #90 

Last edited by Trebor on 21 Oct 2013, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
Car park alarms? That's a new one. More likely the local foxes set it off, or rather more likely it doesn't exist.

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 20:29 #91 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:or rather more likely it doesn't exist.

That was my initial reaction as well.
Paul

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 20:57 #92 

Trebor
Yes and mine too, she said there are lasers protecting the car park, a bit James Bondish for me !

I do know that as it is isolated the nursery building has been broken into a few times, so maybe they are taking no chances and they did get a lottery grant so maybe have the funds to splash out on top notch stuff ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 21:01 #93 

Last edited by Trebor on 21 Oct 2013, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
Yes, but how can a laser tell the difference between a fox and a burglar?

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 21:45 #94 

Trebor
It has the option enabled on T4 ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 22:54 #95 

DaveyC
Sounds like bullocks to me........

Posted 22 Oct 2013, 16:34 #96 

Bermudan 75
Laser can't detect 'bullocks' but we can....... :thumbsup:

Cheers

Mike

Posted 22 Oct 2013, 19:42 #97 

Chuckles
Don't you just love the humour here????

There was a chap I was talking to that had some basic R75 headlights available. Can you if you, recognise me, contact me? I had fitted projectors but in my haste I didn't clean them or check to see if the adjustment gears were still in place.
Chuck
Chuck; Dorset UK.

Posted 25 Oct 2013, 16:03 #98 

Trebor
Re the alarm issue I am seeing the football club chairman next week to make sure we dont have any problems in future, but I have already established that we didnt set the alarms off, it was the overnight blustery winds, but we did activate the cctv and the alarm company could see cars on the car park and it appears wrongly assumed that the alarms going off was something to do with us
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 25 Oct 2013, 18:05 #99 

Duncan
Mmm. Alarms sensitive to wind now? I know cars can be but they use ultrasonics. Domestic and commercial ones use passive infra red (PIR).

Posted 25 Oct 2013, 18:17 #100