Premium/MG7/Roewe bumper Q&A - comments by Devilish

Devilish
Please feel free to post away, or send me a PM, submit pics experiences, ideas, etc
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 02 Feb 2011, 21:38 #1 

CDTi
That looks great.

Where did you get the black grills? Did they come with the chrome surround.

Have you sourced the other bits yet e.g. plastic mounts for the fogs?

Will the facelift foam inserts fit the premium bumper?
:ireland:

Posted 14 Feb 2011, 14:18 #2 

Last edited by CDTi on 14 Feb 2011, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Devilish
I have been asked what I used to attach the MG7 grill to the bumper.
I used M4 panhead brass nuts & bolts, if M5 bolts are used the the concave ridge along the back of the MG7 chrome surround will not fit over the bolt heads.

I also recommend using brass nuts on the 4 mounting bolts across the top of the MG7 chrome surround, I think they are M5, but I will check and post it up. The use of shakeproof washers is a good idea, with no overtightening of the nuts.

Posted 14 Feb 2011, 14:31 #3 

Devilish
CDTi wrote:That looks great.

Where did you get the black grills? Did they come with the chrome surround.
They are a seperate part and do not come with the surround

Have you sourced the other bits yet e.g. plastic mounts for the fogs?
This is being looked into
Will the facelift foam inserts fit the premium bumper?

I have not tried it yet, I am quite sure the foam inserts for the MG7 and Roewe 750 should become available soon, it is a matter of waiting for the first ones to arrive and seeing what is what

There are more bits needed than meets the eye

There is also the case of the fir tree ball and socket fittings and the bumper mounting brackets for them. These seem universal, I am waiting to see if any changes have been made to the MG7 and Roewe 750 mountings

Problem to start is you cannot return stuff to China, so it it does not work/impossible to fit, it is a lot of money down the drain

Posted 14 Feb 2011, 15:03 #4 

CDTi
Yes, I agree that there are more bits needed than you would first think.

Will the fir tree ball and socket be a problem if the original bumper is used?

I wonder if the foam inserts are still available from Xpart?

Posted 14 Feb 2011, 15:12 #5 

Devilish
CDTi wrote:Yes, I agree that there are more bits needed than you would first think.

Will the fir tree ball and socket be a problem if the original bumper is used?
These are quite easy to remove from your original MkI or MkII bumper, and fit to the premium bumper. There is a slot on the bumper aid precise re fitting of the bracket to the bumper, it has been and is still not quite warm enoug for me to be using adhesives on the foglight fittings, but I am looking at bumper repair adhesives and fillers to use as an adhesive

I wonder if the foam inserts are still available from Xpart?
You can but try

Posted 14 Feb 2011, 15:37 #6 

CDTi
One last question - for the moment :D

Where did you get the foglight fittings?

Posted 14 Feb 2011, 15:46 #7 

Devilish
CDTi wrote:One last question - for the moment :D

Where did you get the foglight fittings?

I took a pair off a scrap premium bumper £25, and I bought a pair from someone who scrapped a premium bumper £25. Right place at the right times I guess.

The Rover breaker who is selling the premium bumpers had some new ones but for one side only £12.50 each, I heard from someone there that Longbridge disposed of loads of them.

A thought about the fir tree wing clips. I have seen several 75's & ZT's with no fir tree wing clips because they got lost/broken, and saw a few where the fir tree clip was not fully seated into the socket, but a mm or two from it. I removed the wing clips from my facelift saloon because I could not get them to seat into the bumper socket when I raised the slam panel. They are more for alignment that securing, and that part of the bumper always tends to align ok with the wing anyway.

Detailed pics of the fog mounting bracket and bumper mounting area, are being sent to China for avail;ability of suitable brackets. There are many ways to fit them without the fog brackets, it may not look as neat but what does that matter.

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 03:53 #8 

Devilish
The answer to the frequently asked question "Is the badge mount detachable from the MG7 surround

The answer is no, it is a fixed part of the surround
Stubie had a surround that was manufactured without the badge plinth, this surround never went into production. there are detailed pics of the surround on the guide thread.

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 06:27 #9 

Ian_Stewart
Excellent work. Well done.
Might be a daft question, but I can't quite tell from the photos, but which shape fogs go in the premium bumper. Is it the MK1 oval or the Mk2 circle style?

if they are MK2 Can the fog light fittings cannot be moved over from a MK2 ZT bumper?

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 08:16 #10 

Devilish
Ian_Stewart wrote:Excellent work. Well done.
Might be a daft question, but I can't quite tell from the photos, but which shape fogs go in the premium bumper. Is it the MK1 oval or the Mk2 circle style?

Hi Ian. The premium bumper is designed for MkII fogs, but with a little modification to the mounting bracket, MkII fogs can be fitted. I actually have MkI fogs on my tourer

if they are MK2 Can the fog light fittings cannot be moved over from a MK2 ZT bumper?

If you have a close look at pic 2 of the guide, you will notice that the bumper has been swept inwards towards the small lower vents Neither 75 or ZT MkII brackets will fit, it is not worth cutting and modifying them fot the premium bumper unless it is a scrap one, as the brackets may be rendered useless for the bumper they were removed from

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 10:32 #11