Oscilloscopes: how cheap can they get? by Duncan

Duncan
Well. While checking out the prices for a decent lab spec bit of kit, I spotted these on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DSO138-2-4-TF ... Sw9r1WA5ep

Now a scope for just over twelve quid? When I was younger a 'scope was the best part of a grand! This one is colour, and works off a 9v battery. OK so there's no box and you have to solder it together yourself which takes an hour and a half, but it works fine. OK for basic signal 'look sees' but often thats all you need.

Expect to see it at future Nanos for having quick looks at things like Kbus when there are problems.

BTW, off to play with the proper one now!

Posted 13 Nov 2015, 20:01 #1 

raistlin
You can also get the hardware to attach to a PC or iPad for not many pounds as well :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 13 Nov 2015, 21:30 #2 

Duncan
True Paul. The Hantek jobbies are cheap enough. But sometimes a standalone is going to be worth it to save booting up your lappy.

Posted 13 Nov 2015, 22:04 #3 

Bernard
Have you built it and got it running, Duncan?
I fancy one for its sheer handiness and portability but I'm not geared up for SMDs, a little after my time. :(

Just read your post properly and see that you have. Should've gone to.....etc.

Posted 13 Nov 2015, 22:53 #4 

Duncan
There are a few SMD components, but I solder them using a conventional technique. Fine tipped iron, and tin one pad. Then pick up the component and place it on the pads while melting the one that has been tinned. Once its held in place, solder the rest, then revisit the first to make sure that joint is properly flowed.

It's the same technique I'm using on the UR boards.

The proper way is to use paste, stick the components in place, and then heat the whole thing up, but that requires techniques I've no experience of.

Posted 14 Nov 2015, 08:26 #5 

PaulT
Yep, electronics just get cheaper and cheaper. Bought my first colour TV in 1972. A massive 17" screen for a mere £207 - how much would that £207 be in todays money and I dare say I would have change from a 4k 60" model.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 15 Nov 2015, 21:14 #6