Online opinion polls by raistlin

raistlin
I quite like doing online opinion polls - especially those that offer a financial incentive :lol:

I am regularly asked to do the YouGov polls which are a simple way of filling in small idle times and making a bit of pin money, as it were.

Just recently I became involved in the Nectar Canvass online polls and I have to say that I don't like what I'm seeing.

They keep offering me polls with the incentive of gaining Nectar points. However, I have found that the great majority of these so-called polls consist of a long series of quite searching questions until you get to approximately 95% to 98% completion, at which point a pop-up appears telling me that I am not suited to that particular survey and telling you that as a thank you you'll be entered in an unspecified prize draw - not the ideal result when sometimes upwards of 200 Nectar points were on offer.

Also odd is the fact that they have my answers for up to 98% of the survey before deciding that I'm not required. Cynical I most certainly am but I think with good reason in this case.

Further, you are then forwarded to a survey which awards nothing but is said to "Improve our overall understanding of our market and your individual lifestyle."

I'll say. Some of the questions they ask suggest the Kremlin building up a dossier on a suspected spy.

So, in summary, a method of gaining very detailed information on the lifestyle of known individuals for zero layout in terms of promised remuneration in the form of Nectar points... or not?

Anybody else tried them?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 23 Oct 2012, 10:13 #1 

Freefromenvy
You're not the only one to feel this way. There was another polling organisation that did so and I regularly fell at the last hurdle! I elected to unsubscribe and they had the cheek to try and ask me more questions as to why!Now they are on the spam list.
I used the Nectar search bar for a while to accumulate points but gave that up too as it 'slowed down' my computer considerably. I've also begun to discontinue the use of loyalty cards as I find I have a walletful of them and they too 'slow me down'

Posted 23 Oct 2012, 11:32 #2 

MGBev
I bet they sell your details to companies so they can send you junk mail

Posted 23 Oct 2012, 14:52 #3 

raistlin
MGBev wrote:I bet they sell your details to companies so they can send you junk mail

YouGov specifically say they don't but come to think of it, no such assurance from Nectar.
Paul

Posted 23 Oct 2012, 17:13 #4 

Dave
How "safe" is YouGov

Thought, after reading your post, that I'd sign up. Just got a notification for first survey and it has asked for a lot of personal details. I gather you have to put a correct address and postcode so that they can send you stuff, but after this I was a bit wary. For example, date of birth as well as address? Hmmmmm! So I put in a phoney one. Some other stuff I was happy to answer as it was fairly general but some of it I put in deliberately inaccurate information, just in case....

Posted 29 Oct 2012, 18:26 #5 

raistlin
YouGov is one you see regularly on TV Dave. I've been doing their surveys for several years and have had no problems. The only reason they have my address is to send the payment cheques :)
Paul

Posted 29 Oct 2012, 19:03 #6 

Dave
Seems fair then! :D

Posted 29 Oct 2012, 19:16 #7 

ceedy
I've been doing Valued Opinions this year.. Totalled about 130 quids in Amazon Vouchers
tho' these are not available at the moment for some reason ) ?

And also do My Survey which does points to get other vouchers, I get Paypal redeemed ..

And there another I can't remember which does Airmiles ..

Obviously got too much time on my hands .. :-D

But they are quite quick If you tend to do middle of the road answers ?? ;) ;)

:gmc:

C..
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 30 Oct 2012, 10:07 #8