More Roverron's synergy and Maf thoughts by stroheim

stroheim
:( I suspect that my CDTi is getting a little sluggish I have the Roverron's box with the maf side turned off with the bosch MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). I decided to switch on the MAF side to compensate any deterioration and there seems to be an improvement although this maybe the placebo effect with my :whump: lead foot on testing.
I am pondering now to get a peirburg or even a bosch as my MAF has done 65K I have read that Ron's box with the peirburg seems to work well

Posted 20 Oct 2010, 15:07 #1 

MrB
I would get the MAF checked 1st.

Might just be that you got used to the performance you had.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 11:26 #2 

stroheim
Hi thanks for the reply, I been travelling today with the switch on the Maf side on Ron's box and turned to the medium setting and there is a a better response/torque so that must confirm that my Maf is going out of spec

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 21:36 #3 

James.uk
You need to set a datum... I.E. Find a straight bit of road, pref on a hill, then do some test runs at various speeds and establish some landmarks that the car reaches at certain speeds..

E.G. On my local Mway, if I am doing 40 MPH at the top of the sliproad, then booting it, I should be doing 70 mph by the time I pass under the 2nd bridge.

Note:- My local Mway slopes uphill toward the East and that's the bit I test my cars on.. If I do the above test in my ZX then the car will struggle to reach 70 mph before I crest the hill. But if I use the gears manually and keep the revs well up, I can get it up to 85 mph over the same distance.. :thumbsup:

Posted 22 Oct 2010, 14:38 #4 

stroheim
Hi thanks, going to try and get a datum run with the maf switch on and off. I have noticed the lower end improvement since I have switched it on and can drive at 30 in top reasonably smoothly. I regularly clean the maf with Malpins switch cleaner. I have an oil inpregnated air filter which has been on the car for 30k and I cleaned and re-oiled with the correct oil and instructions from the manufacturers about 10K ago and I note there is some issues about possible oil contamination of the MAF but these filers seem to be popular,so I thinking I may go back to the OEM filter.

Posted 23 Oct 2010, 09:18 #5