Majed working In Cairo by kandyman (Page 2 of 3)

Mick
(Site Admin)
Still looks like a new car Majed. :)

Posted 07 Feb 2011, 12:21 #21 

Samarkand
Thanks Mick :D
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 12 Feb 2011, 10:41 #22 

Samarkand
Hi guys,
I'm back in Cairo since last Wednesday at the request of my company. Things are looking good so far.
My Best to all
Majed

Posted 19 Feb 2011, 12:18 #23 

Mick
(Site Admin)
That was a quick return, from reading news items it looks like things have calmed down now. Keep safe. :)

Posted 19 Feb 2011, 12:20 #24 

takestock
Mick wrote: Keep safe. :)

Seconded :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 19 Feb 2011, 12:30 #25 

Samarkand
Thanks.
There is still a curfew between midnight and 6:00 am. Yesterday, there was a big sit-in at the now famous Tahrir Square during the day, but the rest of the time, it's OK.
However, my company could have waited few days... Not all the works sites are operational again. Some key staff did not return yet and activity is still slow at work. They brought me back on Wednesday but was told upon arrival that Thursday was a holiday. Also Friday is the week day off here. I could have stayed a couple of days more with my family... :mad1: On the bright side, I was brought back as I was told I was one of the essential persons here :thumbsup:
The bright side is that workdays are shorter and less annoying things to deal with at work (for the moment ;) ). I even have some time to check websites (YES the Internet is working again :D )
Majed

Posted 19 Feb 2011, 12:40 #26 

Samarkand
Here we go again... :em:
At the moment, we cannot stay for a complete day at the office as we are very close to the troubled area (about 500 meters!). By mid day or early in the afternoon, they tell us to go home again... Our company did not take any measure to instruct us if it's safe or not to come to work. They tell us to come if we can. If we can't, it would be counted a day off! (I need my off days to as much as possible to spend them in France, not here! :evil: ).
Majed

Posted 22 Nov 2011, 07:13 #27 

PaulT
Best of luck and do keep us informed of what is going on.

Listening to the BBC on the way to work they are saying it is worse now than under Mubarak.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 22 Nov 2011, 07:54 #28 

JohnDotCom
Keep safe my friend, and what a obscene suggestion by your Company to take leave if to dangerous to get to work.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 22 Nov 2011, 09:47 #29 

geesmith
JohnDotCom wrote:Keep safe my friend, and what a obscene suggestion by your Company to take leave if to dangerous to get to work.

The same suggestion the company I worked for made to people living up to 15 miles from work when everyone was snowed in and public and private transport were grounded.
There is no comparison between snow and the troubles in Cairo though.

Keeping safe so you can eventually get back to be with your family is the main thing Majed. i'm thinking of you. I don't think we've spoken directly but I've enjoyed the humour of your posts and you have registered on me as definitely part of the team.

Meilleure des chances et rester en sécurité.

Posted 22 Nov 2011, 15:18 #30 

kandyman
Thanks for the update,

keep safe.

My ladies send you a hug.

Posted 22 Nov 2011, 17:57 #31 

Samarkand
Thank you guys for your support. The problem is that the demonstrations are concentrated so far in the area where our offices are located, while other areas in Cairo are still calmer. Thankfully our staff on site can work "normally" as our client insists on not postponing the opening date, even in such times. This is why we have not been sent back abroad yet.
Yesterday we barely got through to our building as the army have erected a barbed wire wall just below our windows... It's no fun going to work in such conditions and one cannot keep concentrated.
Majed

Posted 25 Nov 2011, 16:53 #32 

Samarkand
Just a small post to let everyone I'm OK in Cairo with the new outburst of violence, and keeping safe at home as we have been instructed to at the moment. Regards to all,
Majed

Posted 14 Aug 2013, 17:54 #33 

kandyman
Good to hear you're safe its not looking to good out there at the moment.

Posted 14 Aug 2013, 18:02 #34 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Take good care of yourself Majed. Looks like the worst is happening there.

Posted 14 Aug 2013, 18:23 #35 

Trebor
Sounds like a nightmare for you and the lack of empathy by your employer isnt helping at all, your safety should be top of their agenda, please stay safe
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 14 Aug 2013, 20:13 #36 

takestock
So sad to hear of the riots again Majed, at least your safe and sound. I feel remarkably lucky to have been able to visit the wonderful city an the pyramids in the short gap in the unrest just before the last uprising

Take care
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 14 Aug 2013, 20:24 #37 

Samarkand
Thank you guys for your support, hoping this situation ends soon :)
Majed

Posted 14 Aug 2013, 20:42 #38 

Samarkand
Hello everyone,
Still in Cairo and progressing on the same hectic subway project. I have not had the opportunity to come over to France for some proper time to stay with my family and my 75 lately... I don't know how I managed so far though!

I had the surprise to see a brand new MG750E with the long wheelbase (the E after 750) in one of the car dealers window. It was a 2.5 litre V6. As you can also see in the pictures below, there was also an MG2 next to it. After inquiry, I was told that one came from China. But soon, they are going to be assembled in one of the car factories in Cairo suburbs. Being assembled in Egypt, it should be less taxed (no customs duties) and would become cheaper (not sure how much yet). This one was priced 275,000 EGP which would be around 27,500 Euros. There is a 2 litre version at 235,000 EGP (23,500 Euros approx.). Apart from the above, the salesman did not know more. These prices are cheap compared to a BMW 520i selling around 600,000 EGP (60,000 Euros)

This one had all the amenities but the interior has nothing to do with any of our cars interiors. It is purely Chinese. In fact, had I seen the interior first before seeing the outside, I would not have guessed the car... (sadly). I did not tried it (not tempted) though I would have been curious how that V6 would flare...

Could not upload the photos here, so I added a link to their location in my album (sorry - if any mod could help)
http://www.75ztcommunity.co.uk/gallery/mg750e-cairo-a87

Hoping all is well with you guys too, and hoping to see you soon,
Regards,

Majed

Posted 15 Oct 2014, 19:27 #39 

Trebor
this is an old thread well worthy of resurrection, i can see the pictures are you tempted to buy it ?

Glad you are still surviving what is it like there currently trouble wise have things settled down ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 15 Oct 2014, 22:00 #40