iphone vs android by takestock

takestock
It's Chistmas, thinking upgrading my 1990's phone for something all singing all dancing, now I'm not a complete techno numpty ( or am i :confused:) so would like a little advice please :D

Advantages and disadvantages of both.

Oh just to put this into perspective I won't be spending £500+ on a handset, to me that's madness
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 21:40 #1 

Cowley_MOA
Hi Dave,

I currently have (and have had for just over 18months) an iPhone 3GS. I’m with Tesco, which as I understand runs from the O2 network anyway. The coverage is very good and I can’t really fault it. As for the phone its self, I would say without doubt it is the one single piece of technology I couldn’t live without. This may be just ‘Smart phones’ in general, but you don’t realise just how dam handy it is until you have one. So whatever you get I thoroughly recommend it!

With the iPhone specifically, great build quality, aesthetically pleasing and easy to use. The only downside really is the price, but I suppose if you’ve got something that lasts and you can keep it for a while it is less of an issue?

If you want to get some impartial advice on contracts check this out...
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-iphone
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 22:16 #2 

JakeWilson
as someone who daftly got rid of mine, get an iPhone.

Certainly the clearest interface and some very interesting apps. (The BMW M// Power one is great fun when you're in the car) and I would think the iPhone is the most supported by app developers.

Might be worth talking to the Apple Store in Leeds as the stores out here in Munich and in Augsburg have been great.

Posted 16 Dec 2011, 00:35 #3 

Mad-Monkey
I have an iPhone 4 and it's great. The main advantage is how it works, it feels seamless, it integrates with everything and there seems to be an app for everything. However, I think Android and iPhone are so close now, it's what ever you feel comfortable playing with. Pop into one of the shops with them on display and have a play. Believe it or not my biggest gripe with the iPhone was not being able to change from the standard text tones! Now there is an app I don't to!! :D

I would actually consider the 4S as an upgrade from the 4 but thankfully my contract is not due for upgrading for 6 months :)

Posted 16 Dec 2011, 08:05 #4 

PaulT
I bought the other half the Samsung Galaxy II. The reason being that it scored extremely well in the various comparison tests. The camera was a large consideration and it seems to do everything she wants it to do (although there is still a great deal that is not being used).

I personally do not like the way that Apple takes over and restricts the abilities of their devices - not being able to do certain things without using the likes of itunes etc. If there is a God it is not Apple
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 16 Dec 2011, 08:26 #5 

JohnDotCom
I must admit after having both, I have returned to the Apple iPhone again. (always kept the old 3GPS or whatever)
The "4" is more reasonably priced now, but go for the "4S" if you can get a good enough contract. (I'm happy with O2)
Apple as a App for near enough everything! :-D
The iPhone 5 is due out in the non to distant future if you have no urgency.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 16 Dec 2011, 09:48 #6 

geesmith
Nokia's get bad press but there just as bad if you iron them IMO. The older ones were great (1990's)...just can't get the wrinkles out of the new ones.

Posted 16 Dec 2011, 22:20 #7 

kandyman
iPhone here for the last few years,

Love it as I now have a ban button app ;) Image

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 09:46 #8 

JohnDotCom
Won't be much use for that on the Community Site Andy, :-D even with Takestock being a member.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 10:06 #9 

Duncan
geesmith wrote:Nokia's get bad press but there just as bad if you iron them IMO. The older ones were great (1990's)...just can't get the wrinkles out of the new ones.

Would have agreed with you until the very latest ones. The Lumia 800 works fine for me, but then it's running windows which I know a lot of people love to hate, and wasn't one of the options in the OPs question. Anyway, I like it.

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 10:40 #10 

kandyman
It's not connected John, I just get a kick out of pushing it ;)

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 10:59 #11 

Jürgen
Dave, there are just two competitive operating systems out there at the moment. Android and iOS. Countless Android phones from different manufactures won't make it easy to find the right one, but there certainly will be one. On the other side, Apple is still selling the iPhone 4 (without the S and less memory) and even the 3GS. So maybe you'll able to get a good deal for an 4.

The Samsung phones seem to be good, some colleagues are happy with them. And some others are happy with their iPhones.

kandyman wrote:It's not connected John, I just get a kick out of pushing it ;)

Sorry, Andy, but you're wrong. Every time you press that red button, some innocent member of a randomly chosen forum gets banned. :mrgreen:

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 11:41 #12 

takestock
what is this windows option then mr D?
wife is addicted to the facebook flash game Farmtown ,just been informed this will not run on the iphone or ipad, that gives me a problem :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 11:42 #13 

JakeWilson
Have a look here Dave:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/

I have this operating system on my HTC HD7 (think it was the first) it's clear simple to use and very different certainly to Apple.

It has certain really nice features and has great syncronicity with windows based OS and applications as well as web services. Also uses Zune as opposed to iTunes, which I quite like.

Downsides for me are the lack of applications available in comparison to iOS or Android and also the web browser is terrible, especially forums it doesn't like.

Would be interested to hear how Duncans getting on with his Lumia as it was branded as both the saviour for Nokia and also Windows.

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 12:04 #14 

Duncan
Well I'm mostly liking my Lumia. I've not had any problems with web pages, though I'm not a 24/7 user for browsing. It's done everything I asked of it so far, including this forum.

I use it for POP email, which it checks every couple of hours. I believe you can get various other services that push the email to your phone. It has a built in Nav option that seems to work OK, and the GPS is as good as anything I've ever used.

The display isn't as big as some units, but that was part of the attraction as it's a fairly small device as far as smartphones go. That means using the keyboard on the screen takes a bit of getting used to.

One surpsise is transferring contacts. Normally when I change a phone, I just copy contacts over. With this being windows based I'd assumed I could synchronise with outlook, but in windows phone 7.5 you sync with 'the cloud' via hotmail or googlemail which I haven't done yet. I do dislike that feature but I'll live with it.

Only other comment is bluetooth compatibilty. It seems less able to work with bluetooth carkits than previous Nokias, though I do like the ability to use bluetooth headphones for music.

I can't comment on apps as I don't know the other OS's. There are a lot, though particularly the free ones are of variable quality and substance. I have been using it as a Kindle reader and it works great.

If you look at Nokia.co.uk it's on their front page. However I would reccomend trying it before you buy.

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 12:59 #15 

Zeb
Iphones....lovely, until you drop em! Screens / repairs from Apple appear to be very expensive...er, that is all I know..:( My son has an Android tablet...and I have been amazed at what you can get for it in terms of apps and what they can do!

Posted 20 Dec 2011, 20:43 #16