Highline Woes by JakeWilson

JakeWilson
Was wondering what peoples thoughts are as to cause a problem.
Friend had his Sat Nav drive sent off for refurbishment as it was unable to read discs at certain points, nor eject. Came back as a faulty laser, so was replaced and the unit cleaned.
Drive comes back and he refits, yet the drive won’t power up (No lights). On the main screen the Navigation option has disappeared and the display has switched to a really low resolution. Still colour
Came up today and tried a different Sat Nav drive, with no power shown either. (Drive has been tested and works) On a whim we swapped the video tuner for another and that wouldn’t even power up, yet when the original was refitted, it powered up fine.
Really lost!
Jake

Posted 02 Nov 2011, 16:51 #1 

MN190
Have you tried the refurbed sat nav drive on another car? Ignore this bit I see you said drive was tested and working

Usually a low resolution with chunky graphics and no option means the sat nav drive is not working
Any chance of testing other known working modules such as the tuner.
Does it have any other extra input cables fitted such as tv input or telephone?

Posted 02 Nov 2011, 18:15 #2 

JakeWilson
No sadly we didn't get chance to test the refurb drive as his instinctive (and fair) reaction was to ship it straight back.

He came to me and we tried a tested spare mk3 drive of mine, this wouldn't power up at all. We swapped the tv tuner with mine. This wouldn't power at all. However we then refitted the original and it powered up fine.

No additional modules fitted, fitted to OEM standard.

Posted 02 Nov 2011, 18:34 #3 

Duncan
kbus wire to the satnav drive is my guess. Probably as you unplugged the wire has come loose. So the TV tuner doesn't know the Satnav is there, and produces its own low res menu. I seem to remember someone else having this problem and it was a dodgy splice on the kbus wire. But either way the symptoms fit.

Posted 02 Nov 2011, 20:39 #4 

JakeWilson
Hi Duncan,

Thank you! So the place to check would be the wires going into the connectors for the Sat Nav drive?

Posted 02 Nov 2011, 21:41 #5 

Duncan
Yes, that's a good starting place. Its the white / red / yellow wire.

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 07:57 #6 

Suffolk Man
thank you so much just took the plug apart and their it was loose kbus wire a dab of superglue should fix that brillant over the moon

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 23:10 #7 

Duncan
Don't think superglue is the best way as it's not conductive.

Has the terminal come off the wire, or just the terminal come out of the housing?

Posted 04 Nov 2011, 07:52 #8 

Suffolk Man
just come out of the housing just want to make sure it does not pop out when replacing

Posted 04 Nov 2011, 11:08 #9 

Suffolk Man
well ended up changing the pin plugged in still no joy left finally had one more go it was the plugs at the back i was being a little over cautious putting them in .gave one a good shove and thought thats funny it has gone in a lot further than the other one did the same again and it works screen back to normal etc

Posted 04 Nov 2011, 21:19 #10 

Gate Keeper
JakeWilson wrote:Hi Duncan,

Thank you! So the place to check would be the wires going into the connectors for the Sat Nav drive?

Hi Jake. No highline woes from me.

The mark 4 arrived yesterday and I have not yet fitted it. Given your knowledge of the system you and Lewis installed, is it a job I can do myself - simply remove the old drive and swap the mark 4 over?

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 18:43 #11 

MN190
It is as you say and just a straight forward swap over from a Mk3 to Mk4.
If you are upgrading from a Mk2 then a little bit more work.
Usual precautions and allow the system to shut down completely first before disconnecting

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 20:33 #12 

Gate Keeper
Thanks for the info and the reminder about disarming. I think it is a Mark 1

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 21:04 #13 

MN190
Have a look at these to work out which one you have - ignore the BMW writing on the front of the MK2
MK2 drive
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E38-E39-E ... 031wt_1393

MK3 drive
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctg/BMW-MK3-GPS-S ... Technology

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 21:51 #14 

JakeWilson
Morning Phil,

It's a Mk2 you currently have fitted. You'll need to unplug the gps receiver unit from the loom, which is bolted to the top of the nav drive cage. The black connector is now redundant as the MK4 has that unit built into it.

Insert the blue and red plugs into the back of the mk4 as well as the antennae cable from the GPS Receiver unit and plug it into the MK4.

THe picture below shows where, the top drive is your current Mk2 wit the Mk4 underneath.

You'll also need some stereo removal tools to clip the nav drive out.

If you get stuck, drop me a call as I am home (Lincs) today.

Posted 30 Aug 2012, 07:51 #15 

Gate Keeper
Thanks Jake for the detailed walk thru. Would the tv unit u are selling fit the head unit you sold me if it is still for sale?

Posted 30 Aug 2012, 13:57 #16 

JakeWilson
Hi Phil,

No worries, I hope that it helps. The TV kit will fit and is still available.

Best,

Jake

Posted 30 Aug 2012, 14:29 #17 

Gate Keeper
Thanks for getting back Jake. One more question. Can those antennas be positioned out of sight and still do the job?

Posted 30 Aug 2012, 20:20 #18 

JakeWilson
I'd imagine that they'll still be needed on the glass, but you could place right at the top of the rear glass.

Posted 31 Aug 2012, 11:48 #19 

Gate Keeper
Thanks again Jake for today - the installation guidance over the phone of the Mark 4 :) Can you remind me which radio module you put in? As you probably can tell I was not paying attention!

Posted 01 Sep 2012, 21:02 #20