HELP please? Stump removal by raistlin

raistlin
I've been given so many great ideas from members of this forum on a plethora of disparate problems that I thought I'd share my latest concern and see if it can be solved :)

I am trying to remove the stumps of a couple of bushes in the garden prior to laying weed control and Cotswold stone chippings.

The problem is that I just can't get the stumps out. I've dug down as far as I can but it seems nowhere near enough to get them to release their death grip.

On previous occasions I've used a rope attached to the car to pull such stumps out of the ground but this is impossible owing to lack of access.

Does anybody have any solutions please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 09 Aug 2015, 08:31 #1 

humphshumphs
Depending on how big the stumps are, you can either hire a stump grinder or if the stump isn't too big, places like machine mart do blades to fit a 4/4.5" grinder that you can use to grind away the stump.
Richard

Posted 09 Aug 2015, 08:42 #2 

raistlin
Thanks Richard. I was told that they cut the stump back to a few inches below ground. Wouldn't the remains then start to grow upwards again?
Paul

Posted 09 Aug 2015, 09:21 #3 

PaulT
In the remainder below surface level drill some holes and pour bleach in. I am also told that copper sulphate will also do the trick of killing the remains.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 09 Aug 2015, 09:52 #4 

raistlin
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks both :)

Does anybody have a link to stump grinding blades for a 4.5" angle grinder please? I can't find them on machine Mart?
Paul

Posted 09 Aug 2015, 10:13 #5 

humphshumphs
raistlin wrote:Ah, that makes sense. Thanks both :)

Does anybody have a link to stump grinding blades for a 4.5" angle grinder please? I can't find them on machine Mart?

Try https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/range/guid/91A7CA92-E5F1-4F84-8472-9C8A0AB6EFFA these are the sort of things

Basically a chainsaw on a disc - much like the big stump grinders
Richard

Posted 09 Aug 2015, 11:19 #6 

raistlin
Thanks Richard. I was searching using the wrong parameters.
Paul

Posted 09 Aug 2015, 11:26 #7 

Gren 24
Paul,
The stump you are left with,get a few old 2 pence pieces and hammer them into the stub the copper in them will kill the roots and help to rot the roots. Yes it does work seen it used and did try it with an elderbary tree I had and it worked

Les

Posted 09 Aug 2015, 19:45 #8 

raistlin
Cheers Les
Paul

Posted 09 Aug 2015, 20:37 #9 

takestock
Gren 24 wrote:Paul,
The stump you are left with,get a few old 2 pence pieces and hammer them into the stub the copper in them will kill the roots and help to rot the roots. Yes it does work seen it used and did try it with an elderbary tree I had and it worked

Les

Is that Les getting his two penneth in........... :gmc: :lol:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 11 Aug 2015, 15:42 #10