Cat theft by Bernard

Bernard
We have had another spate of this locally. My neighbour has a quality CCTV installation and has recorded a couple of travellers (as they have to be called) in the act of stealing the cats from his Landcruiser at 2:30 am two nights ago. Even his Great Danes were not alerted but he has clearly recognisable images of the low lives and their vehicle. They were caught actually staring into the camera trying to make out what it was. Also grimy hand prints on his car and bits and pieces dropped while the theft was taking place.

So, a clear case for Mr Plod, you would think.

No, they are not interested. Only gave him a crime number which he suspects is the same one given to another person in the village who's car was done over the same night- only counts as one crime, I suspect.

We really need a policy of zero tolerance for these offences. What with road drain covers, lead from Church roofs, alloy wheels, railway cabling and now cats, it's long overdue.

I can't understand why the proposal to ban cash buying of scrap has failed. It may at least have helped a little.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 22 Aug 2012, 17:35 #1 

Martin
With you on that chap
MGZT-T V8 SUPERCHARGED Le Mans Green

Posted 22 Aug 2012, 18:22 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
In such circumstances I would not be stopping at the police. Of course initially reporting the crime with them, closely followed by my MP, local newspaper, national newspaper if interested, TV investigative reporting team.
It's about time the police were given the resources to do something positive about this type of crime, they already know who is committing it.

Posted 22 Aug 2012, 18:49 #3 

Trebor
My son works on the railways as a signalling technician and sees the cable theft first hand on a regular basis, on one occasion someone had stolen a length of cable and replaced it with some inferior stuff and connected it up so the discovery of the theft would take a while longer
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 22 Aug 2012, 19:28 #4 

Last edited by Trebor on 22 Aug 2012, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

starbug2
Mick wrote:In such circumstances I would not be stopping at the police. Of course initially reporting the crime with them, closely followed by my MP, local newspaper, national newspaper if interested, TV investigative reporting team.
It's about time the police were given the resources to do something positive about this type of crime, they already know who is committing it.

agreed....

Posted 22 Aug 2012, 20:08 #5 

SpongeBob
In fairness to the police, Bernard the crime number should be unique to yourself. Unless its an incident number, which could of course be shared by many.

Often acquisitive crimes like these take a while to track down and prosecute anyone because the goods are sold off or transferred fairly quickly. As I'm sure you'll understand a case file against an individual (or group) may have better long term results than a short term arrest for theft even though it's frustrating in the mean time for the victims of such crime.

This is just a generalisation and not necessarily what is happening in your neck of the woods. I know things are different for everybody.

Posted 23 Aug 2012, 11:54 #6 

Bolin
If there are grimy hand prints, didn't the police want to try to get fingerprints??

Posted 23 Aug 2012, 19:07 #7