BMW ULF Upgraded by MN190

MN190
Just upgraded my ULF to a 5th Generation one.
This supports SMS and voice recognition.
Just need to wait for a new NavCoder activation code and I think I will need to add a pairing switch for the voice recognition function.

Posted 11 Aug 2015, 15:05 #1 

offyoutoddle
congratulations - any chance you could post a pic of what the interface looks like on the sat nav screen? Also, what is the situation with the microphones in the car - are they built in, or do you need to install one ? I've always fancied trying this, specifically to get the sms , but I don't really know where to start - I think I'd need to upgrade my hiline to a bm54 and get a generation 5/6 ulf ? Is there anything else required?

Posted 24 Aug 2015, 01:25 #2 

MN190
Have a look at this
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s ... php?t=7597

I followed the instuctions on Post 30 and made my own loom using the BM24 to BM54 converter lead rather than a Telemute lead
Microphone you will need to add
SMS is receive only you can't reply

Posted 24 Aug 2015, 15:16 #3 

offyoutoddle
thanks for the info - very useful. does this require a widescreen head unit too, or can you just upgrade the standard rover radio to a bm54, and gather together the assorted leads?

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 08:35 #4 

MN190
I think you need the widescreen head unit too as I don't think the standard head unit has the "phone" button

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 12:43 #5 

Duncan
The standard screen may not have the button but you can select it from the menu (along with TV, satnav and so on) if the telephone is fitted. However I wouldn't like to guarantee it will work fully in all respects.

Posted 25 Aug 2015, 17:13 #6 

offyoutoddle
Does anyone know if a full harness from a bmw is any use to me as a cable to retrofit with, or will that not attach to what I have? I'm suspicious of it because it seems to have no way of connecting inbetween the radio unit and my car - it just seems to have 1 quadlock socket?

Posted 26 Aug 2015, 13:16 #7 

MN190
I think this will be more work.
If the cable has all the right connections and is the right length you will need to replace your existing loom with the BMW harness.
Not all BMWs have the TV function and some have DSP which ours don't

Posted 26 Aug 2015, 16:00 #8 

offyoutoddle
ok - cheers, I won't worry about that plan

Posted 26 Aug 2015, 18:56 #9 

Bolin
MN190 - did you ever add the button for voice recognition? If so, I would very much like to know how you did it.

Posted 18 Nov 2016, 00:14 #10