A tale from the Court... at least I hope it will be. by raistlin

raistlin
I was walking back from the local shops earlier this evening when my attention, and that of most other people in the area was drawn to an impatiently and repeatedly sounded car horn. One car was slowing down for a turn and the driver of the car behind didn't think it was a good idea.

Anyway, while I was actually watching, the second car ran into the back of the car that had slowed to turn off, spinning the hit car around almost 180 degrees.

Within a second or two, the driver of the second car, a young black woman was out and raging at the driver of the car she had hit. The language was something that even I don't hear very often and all to the accompaniment of the "gangsta" waving of the hand above the head. I really thought she was going to have a heart attack.

Nobody seemed bothered about braving her wrath to attend to the driver of the first car so I decided to assist myself, checking that she was OK whilst all the time biting my tongue and not making a comment to the raving lunatic.

I called the emergency services because it was clear to me that she had been injured, albeit, prima facie, not seriously. I then offered her my name and phone number to act as a witness to the incident. She looked puzzled and asked why? I said that I thought she had been the victim of careless driving certainly, if not dangerous driving.

At this point the screaming harridan turned her attention on me saying "Who gives a flying *** what a fat bastard like you thinks?"

Successfully not rising to the bait, I said to the young driver of the first car:-

"I'm a Magistrate and as such, if I'd been shown a video of the incident when in Court I'd have had no problem in making a finding of guilt to careless driving or even dangerous driving and that, as a Magistrate, the Police would be happy to take a statement from me owing to the fact that I'm conversant with what is required of a witness."

The driver seemed heartened at this and dug out a notepad to take my details. She also got her phone and, while I was there, summoned the Police.

Curiously, the screaming and shouting suddenly stopped at the same time ;)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 08 Jun 2015, 18:17 #1 

PaulT
raistlin wrote:"Who gives a flying *** what a fat bastard like you thinks?"

She obviously did :)
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 09 Jun 2015, 12:23 #2 

Dave
I hope she ends up in front of you!

(although guessing you can't be a witness to a case you are hearing?)

Posted 09 Jun 2015, 17:24 #3 

raistlin
You're right Dave :lol:

I had a phone call from Police today though asking for a statement so they're clearly taking it seriously.
Paul

Posted 09 Jun 2015, 18:14 #4 

Dave
That's got to be a good thing then, as I'm guessing you qualify as an expert witness! :)

Posted 09 Jun 2015, 18:24 #5 

raistlin
Dave wrote:I'm guessing you qualify as an expert witness! :)

Let's just say that I'm aware of what is involved and what makes a good witness :lol:
Paul

Posted 09 Jun 2015, 18:34 #6 

raistlin
Police came to take a statement while I was in Court today. Based upon what I said, plus the evidence from the injured party and, surprisingly, two other pedestrians at the scene, the offender will be charged with dangerous driving, racially aggravated section 4 Public Order Act, non r/a s4 POA, threat to kill, leaving the scene of an accident, failing to report an accident and criminal damage although I know not why the last charge was being considered.

Interestingly, they asked if I could be sure that the offender was the only person in her car.

The Police told me that the injured party had been taken to hospital but was released within an hour, so no serious injury.

If the offender accepts guilt there will be no trial and witnesses will not be required. Otherwise, I've been told to expect to go to Court as a witness for the prosecution in the near future.
Paul

Posted 11 Jun 2015, 17:57 #7 

Borg Warner
Will that be a different experience for you Paul?

Gary M.

Posted 11 Jun 2015, 18:25 #8 

raistlin
Borg Warner wrote:Will that be a different experience for you Paul?

Gary M.

I've been a witness once or twice Gary.
Paul

Posted 11 Jun 2015, 18:31 #9 

PaulT
raistlin wrote:Interestingly, they asked if I could be sure that the offender was the only person in her car.

Personal injury claim?

Interesting programme on BBC1 = Claimed and Shamed - about fake insurance claims.
Paul

Posted 11 Jun 2015, 21:13 #10 

raistlin
Not the injured party Paul, the offender.

I rather think that she may wish to pull a "witness" from thin air.
Paul

Posted 11 Jun 2015, 21:32 #11 

PaulT
Ah,sorry, should have read it more carefully.

Good job that the other party has a very reliable witness :)
Paul

Posted 12 Jun 2015, 08:20 #12