XP is it being phased out ? by Arctic

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi There
We have an windows XP desk top pc and we have recently had an email from Microsoft saying that you will no longer get updates for windows XP, will this mean that the PC with XP is no longer going to be of any use and we all have to purchase a new pc ? cheers Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 10 Mar 2014, 02:26 #1 

humphshumphs
No, it wont be phased out.

It's at the end of it's support life cycle. Microsoft (and other companies) put a support life on the software, and after that date, updates/bugs etc., will not be dealt with.

In the case of Windows XP, it comes to the end of it's support cycle on 8th April this year. You PC will not stop working after that date, all it means is that Microsoft will no longer issue any security updates etc. As long as you have an Anti-virus program, the it will still be protected.

I've got a XP Laptop that has my diagnostic software on, and wont be updating it as it's not worth it, and the laptop wont take anything more anyway.

All in all, I think this is just a big hype from Microsoft to try and get you to upgrade. It's not anything new either, they did it with Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000.

HTH
Richard

Posted 10 Mar 2014, 06:50 #2 

DaveyC
Microsoft are stopping issuing security updates after 8th April, so the longer you run on it, the more insecure it will become. Whilst anti-virus software will be updated, system vulnerabilities will not be addressed by Microsoft.

If the machine does not go on line its not an issue. XP machines will still run fine though. We are having to replace all our XP machines at work, as the Government will not allow them to access their secure network after 8th April.

Depending on the specs of your machine (processor speed and amount of RAM), it may be upgradeable to Windows 7

Dave :-)

Posted 10 Mar 2014, 07:03 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Richard & Dave.
Some good info there, do one of you know what minimum (processor speed and amount of RAM),it may need to upgrade to Windows 7 and do you lose your photo's files which are on the PC at the moment, I have all mine backed up on memory sticks and 2 tera bite out side hard disc.

Will all your files etc copy over to windows 7 if you upgrade. Cheers Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 10 Mar 2014, 10:53 #4 

humphshumphs
As far as files copying over if you upgrade, I would make sure that you have backups and backups of the backups coz I don't trust windows not to loose the files (and I've been playing with windows PCs since they weren't windows! lol)

As far as the specs for running windows 7, microsoft say:

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Have a look here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements

Hope this gives you more info, and not a headache.
Richard

Posted 10 Mar 2014, 18:01 #5 

DaveyC
Hi Steve,

Definitely do backups of anything and if you have an external drive, even better. Rather than upgrade you would be better off doing a clean install from a formatted drive. Do you know what your PC specs are?

Cheers,

Dave

Posted 10 Mar 2014, 18:15 #6 

Duncan
There used to be a utility you could run from Microsoft that would assess if you could use windows 7. It's worth doing this as you might find an issue with some hardware where there's no compatible driver. Often you can just use the XP one but not always. The software I'm referring to can help you with this but take its advice with a pinch of salt.

Posted 10 Mar 2014, 18:31 #7 

DaveyC

Posted 10 Mar 2014, 19:48 #8 

PaulT
You would think that any vulnerabilities in XP would have long been resolved since it is quite some years since it was released - perhaps a case of solve one problem and create another.

Windows 8 is a little less demanding on PCs.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 11 Mar 2014, 08:53 #9 

humphshumphs
PaulT wrote:Windows 8 is a little less demanding on PCs.

Yes, but it's <insert expletive here> :lol: :lol:
Richard

Posted 11 Mar 2014, 18:58 #10 

Arctic
(Trader)
Thanks guys I will check the status of the two we need to sort out and get back to you for your opinions please, most appreciated Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 11 Mar 2014, 22:02 #11 

DaveyC
Steve,

I have a PC in my loft you can have (FOC). It was running windows 7 but my lad has my old PC that I never used as it was tiny and fitted his room better. Its got decent specs and I can do a clean install of Windows 7 for you, if you want it. You just need to hook up your own monitor, keyboard and mouse. Its just taking up space at present. Its no more than 4 years old at most. We changed his room round about 6 months after I built it and it was just in his way. Gave me a great excuse to "need" a laptop LOL. :-)

Just e-mail me if you want it and I can send pics / specs.

Cheers,

Posted 12 Mar 2014, 06:38 #12 

PaulT
The other option is Ubuntu (Linux base).

It is free and comes with an 'Office' suite and various web browsers are available for it such as Chrome (which is what is being used on the laptop running Ubuntu that I am typing this on), Firefox etc.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 12 Mar 2014, 07:13 #13 

Arctic
(Trader)
DaveyC wrote:Steve,

I have a PC in my loft you can have (FOC). It was running windows 7 but my lad has my old PC that I never used as it was tiny and fitted his room better. Its got decent specs and I can do a clean install of Windows 7 for you, if you want it. You just need to hook up your own monitor, keyboard and mouse. Its just taking up space at present. Its no more than 4 years old at most. We changed his room round about 6 months after I built it and it was just in his way. Gave me a great excuse to "need" a laptop LOL. :-)

Just e-mail me if you want it and I can send pics / specs.

Cheers,

Hi Dave
An email will be winging its way to you asap. :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 14 Mar 2014, 21:40 #14 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Dave.
A very big thank you for today and the PC once up and running when I get the kettle lead as I was re-directed to some where else on the way home so could not get to Maplin's Gail says that it is really appreciated, and a nice kuppa and biccies will be waiting next time you come to ours.

I will check out that scan to see if the little pc and note book will accept windows 7 if I do not see you before next sunday at the nano have a good week cheers Steve :hail:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 16 Mar 2014, 17:56 #15 

DaveyC
No problem at all matey. Glad to be of help. If you want me to look at either of the other 2 machines to install windows 7, just give me a shout. See you next Sunday :-)

Dave

Posted 16 Mar 2014, 18:10 #16