Will not take long - famous last words by PaulT

PaulT
Had a slight weep on a soldered 'T' on the heating system in the loft plus the air vent was a manual one and not in good condition. Decided the easiest way to tackle it was to cut out the pipework in the area and replace it using pushfit fittings as quite congested and not ideal for a flame. Installed the new pipework, pressurised it to 1 bar and checked.......where I had connected on to the existing pipework it was leaking.

Then gave it some thought. The bungalow was built in 1968 so if the heating system had been put in when built it would be imperial pipework. A quick measure and yes, imperial. Drove over to the nearest plumbers merchants (18 miles each way) and got 2 imperial to metric connectors. Cleared all the insultation out of the way and lit the blow torch. I has a long cylinder of gas on it and needed to be tilted at quite an angle to get some heat on the first connector. It was virtually laying flat and not burning correctly, needed a short cylinder. Time was now 17:40 and the shops near me close at 17:30.

Wonder what will happen tomorrow.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 29 Sep 2014, 18:02 #1 

raistlin
You will prevail ;)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 29 Sep 2014, 18:04 #2 

Duncan
It might be worth investing in a blowtorch that will work with the gas in any direction. You have to light it the right way up. but then the gas (or liquid) goes through the flame, to make sure it is always gas and burns properly.

Posted 29 Sep 2014, 18:11 #3