WiFi SSID by Mick

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Mick
(Site Admin)
Just reading this little piece on BBC news site and wondered what if any unusual SSID's (Your WiFi network name, for the uninitiated) people use or have seen?
All the local ones here are just the boring factory default names.

I used to use. "The wrong Side Of Your Firewall" Currently it is" Inscrutable Enigma" What's yours?

Posted 18 Oct 2012, 17:12 #1 

SpongeBob
Well there is a novel idea to make the neighbours chuckle. Currently it's set to the rather mundane term of simply "Network" but I guess I should use something more humorous ;)

Posted 18 Oct 2012, 18:21 #2 

Dave
We can "see" about 11 usually from our house, all of which are the likes of "BTWiFi" and "TALKTALK-FC14E0"...

Ours is the only one with a "name" which is...... DGCM (for Dave, Gill, Charlie and Maddy)! :D

Posted 18 Oct 2012, 19:01 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
BTWiFi and BTWiFi-with-FON are the new names for BTopenzone and FON free to BT users but you can pay for access if not. It's an opt in service, where you make 512k of your bandwidth available as a hot spot for others to use. It's a very useful service :) http://www.bt.com/static/wa/wifi/pages/ ... spots.html

Posted 18 Oct 2012, 19:26 #4 

Samarkand
Dave wrote:We can "see" about 11 usually from our house, all of which are the likes of "BTWiFi" and "TALKTALK-FC14E0"...

Ours is the only one with a "name" which is...... DGCM (for Dave, Gill, Charlie and Maddy)! :D

Done that for my network in France which is MSSM...

In Egypt though, I've taken on Andy's (Kandyman) challenge once and named it Police Survey Van 03. I'm pretty sure I'm making people freak out as in Egypt there are many guys sitting around in the streets (and in cars) watching and reporting people as well as Police vans. What's more funny is that sometimes I leave it on, and sometimes off during the day simulating a random presence possibly... I also heard some youngsters at my building entrance searching for a wifi network and stumbling upon mine and furiously say best to avoid it for not getting into trouble :mrgreen: ...
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 19 Oct 2012, 04:28 #5 

Last edited by Samarkand on 06 Jan 2013, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
Mine is named after our road so is quite boring. I used to have the house number too but decided this was a daft idea so now it's an X.

Funniest one by me is Scrappy, after Scrappy Doo, their Bedlington Terrier.

There used to be loads of unsecured ones. Not sure whether publicity made them change, or maybe it was the unsolicited page popping out of their printer with 'you should secure your wireless network' printed on it.

Posted 19 Oct 2012, 18:02 #6 

kandyman
Samarkand wrote:
Dave wrote:We can "see" about 11 usually from our house, all of which are the likes of "BTWiFi" and "TALKTALK-FC14E0"...

Done that for my network in France which is MSSM...

In Egypt though, I've taken on Andy's (Kandyman) challenge once and named it Police Survey Van 03.: ...

Hehe ,

A'll the ones round my way are the default ones, at the moment my one is called " wife swap party tonight"

I wonder what the people think :)

Posted 19 Oct 2012, 19:05 #7 

Samarkand
Tough one Andy :D
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 19 Oct 2012, 19:53 #8 

persuer
Samarkand wrote:In Egypt though, I've taken on Andy's (Kandyman) challenge once and named it Police Survey Van 03.

I like that one :), Mines called Themaltake which is the make of my PC case.

Posted 19 Oct 2012, 20:45 #9