Who remembers the Jock Strap Ensemble.... by Bernard

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Bernard
... who produced LPs of rugby songs in the mid-sixties?

Earlier this week we went to the funeral of one of them. He was a close friend for the last 40 years or so.
A larger than life character, never known to get cross or lose his temper and always good for a laugh especially at his own expense. Oh the stories I could tell!

The funeral was typical of the way he lived, a New Orleans style jazz band led the way as we precessed from his home near the town centre to the Church. The police stopped the traffic in the High Street and the way was lined with people paying their respects to him.

A Church service followed during which there were some expertly delivered tributes recalling his rugby days and his contribution to Round Table, Rotary and life generally. The Vicar did request that we refrain from the usual hand actions during the music "Swing low sweet chariot" as we left the Church.

Thence followed a lavish wake from which I have only just recovered!

A truly extraordinary good man, to quote the vicar leading the service.
We shall truly miss him, our lives were brightened by his presence and his funeral will be remembered for its joyous theme. That was his last wish.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 23 Jun 2011, 14:48 #1 

PaulT
How strange - only thinking of the rugby songs a couple of days ago.

In my youth I belonged to the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) and one of our summer camps was on an RAF base where they had their own radio station and would pay requests for a small amount. They must have made a fortune out of us because we would all continuously club in and request the rugby songs be played.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 23 Jun 2011, 15:37 #2 

Bernard
The Jock Strap ensemble not well remembered then. Maybe you all had a sheltered upbringing, except for Paul.
No, of course, you are all a lot younger than you appear. Yes I know I'll :gmc:
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 28 Jun 2011, 16:59 #3 

PaulT
Then they have missed out on the Engineers Song, Eskimo Nell, We're off to the wild west show etc.

Did look on HMV website and unfortunately, they are not listed.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 28 Jun 2011, 18:44 #4