Which way to go for emails by PaulT

PaulT
Hopefully will be moving in the not too distant future and at present our email addresses are with our ISP provider. Could be a problem with staying with the provider when we move so no emails. Additionally, I also wish to set up a website but not just yet.

Thoughts are to go the Hotmail, Yahoo etc route, to use a hosted email service or to get webhosting, use it for emails and later on set up the website.

Any help on making a decision and who to go with gratefully received.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Feb 2011, 10:16 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
When changing service provider, whomever you go with, they will provide you with a new email address. It is just a matter of you sending a notification of change of email address to everybody in your address book. You can do this as soon as your new email address becomes available. Should you purchase a name and set up new email at a later date just repeat the process.

Most service providers will offer webspace for customers, either with a name bought from them as part of the package or using one you have bought elsewhere
Examples:-
AQL http://a-q.co.uk/ This is not an ISP, they can sell you a name and provide hosting, you still need an ISP.
BT http://business.bt.com/domains-and-web- ... /features/ most ISP will offer this type of service.

You can for example purchase a domain name from AQL and have it hosted by BT.

You can buy your name and have it hosted by the company you buy it from, just makes it a little simpler than buying the name and then looking for a hosting service. Whomever it is hosted with will offer email under that name.

I can put you in touch with the person we are hosted with, he also handles my business name and many others. Both 75ztcommunity.co.uk and my business name were purchased through AQL.
See member HBB (AKA Dave) memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=61 for contact or I can provide you with telephone number via PM. This is a one point of contact and personal service. No call centres you will actually be dealing directly with Dave. He also handles hosting for one or two other Community members as well as some of my business clients.

Posted 07 Feb 2011, 11:12 #2 

PaulT
Thanks Mick - have emailed Dave

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Feb 2011, 13:06 #3 

Duncan
Another possibility is to have your own server if traffic will be low.

I use a Synolgy disk station. This is connected via my normal router. You have to set up a service so that your dynamic IP address can always be found from a URL, but there are a number of services that will do this for free, including no-ip.com and dydns.org (I think I have those right).

the Synolgy disk box can have a mail server that becomes your own pop server, though configuring it to send without being rejected becuase your IP address is dynamic is a pain so I send via my ISP, but replies come to my own server. I also set my webmail (yahoo and tiscali) to be forwarded straight to my synology box.

It also has a web server application as well as FTP, surveillance remotely using IPcameras, network attached drives, network print and USB disk server, photo station, and a music server.

Like anything it has plusses and minuses, but may be worth considering if you need some network storage anyway.

Posted 07 Feb 2011, 13:24 #4 

Bernard
I found that when I recently swapped ISP that the old provider pointed out that I could carry on using my existing email address via them indefinitely provided that I did in fact use it at least occasionally.
I wish that I had known this before as I would have swapped much sooner, the hassle of changing email address was what had put me off.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 07 Feb 2011, 18:00 #5