Which smartphone? by raistlin

raistlin
I'm in need of advice please chaps :)

My contract with Vodafone is coming to an end. I have a Blackberry 2 Storm as part of my present contract and I'm happy enough with it. It tends to spend the working day as a tethered modem for my lappy at work as the MoD doesn't allow us to access 'interesting' websites on the firm's machines ;)

I was considering an Iphone 4 but I'm not at all happy about shelling out well over £300 just for the phone with monthly contract charges on top of that.

So, what do people recommend as a good internet connected smartphone which will act as a tethered modem please?

If there isn't anything much better than my Blackberry, I'll just have the most expensive phone I can get for nowt with my new contract and sell it on, sticking with the Blackberry but I would really like a change :D

Thanks
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 20:40 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Don't know anything about phones Paul, but if you did decide on Apple, wait for Iphone5 in a couple of months.

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 20:51 #2 

Cowley_MOA
I currently have an Iphone 3GS, and I have to say it is one of the best things I have ever bought. I love the user interface and the ease of operation. Quite simply it's super, I don't think I could get on with another phone now.
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 21:07 #3 

kandyman
I would have to say the iPhone as well as I have had a 3G and now the iPhone 4 since it's launch.

As Mick says wait for the iphone5

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 21:14 #4 

Jürgen
The iPhone is quite a good piece of technology. But what about tethering? This function has been blocked by some providers in the past. So I recommend checking whether it's usable with the provider of your choice.

In my opinion it's best to get hold of some smartphones you're interested in, Paul, and have a look for yourself, before ordering one.

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 21:18 #5 

JohnDotCom
iPhone gets my vote to. Check different providers for prices, that seems a lot you quoted but it does depend on your monthly contract cost of course.
Unlimited Texts, Internet, Wi Fi, 900 minutes etc for just over £60 month with free iPhone from O2.

The new Samsung gets a good review to.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 00:24 #6 

raistlin
JohnDotCom wrote: Texts, Internet, Wi Fi, 900 minutes etc for just over £60 month with free iPhone from O2.

Is that for an IPhone 4 John?
Paul

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 10:12 #7 

CDTi
I have the HTC Desire for the past few months and its an excellent phone. I previously had an iPhone but I prefer the HTC.
:ireland:

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 11:26 #8 

Jürgen
CDTi wrote:I have the HTC Desire for the past few months and its an excellent phone. I previously had an iPhone but I prefer the HTC.

A colleague replaced his quite new HTC with an iPhone 4 recently. The handling is much smoother, he says. So obviously there are a lot of subjective preferences, too.

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 12:04 #9 

JohnDotCom
raistlin wrote:
JohnDotCom wrote: Texts, Internet, Wi Fi, 900 minutes etc for just over £60 month with free iPhone from O2.

Is that for an IPhone 4 John?

Yes Paul my work contract comes to a end this Month and this was the replacement iPhone 4 for my iPhone 3GPS thingy.
I asked about the 5 but was told I would have to pay around £250!
I always seem to miss the new phone release date by a year, typical.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 12:31 #10 

Stelad
I have an HTC Legend and think it's fantastic. My work college has an iphone 4 and spends most of his time trying to find things his phone can do that mine can't. So far all he's come up with is the iphone 4 is able to make video calls and the HTC can't. I could do that on my previous Samsung and never once used that function in three years :D The main differences I can see are that mine was free and he paid a fortune for his and pays twice as much for his tariff. :lol:

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 20:19 #11 

raistlin
As an addendum to this, Vodafone have come up with a contract where, at £40 per month, you get the IPhone 4 free.

Assuming an upgrade for a customer of some 15 years would offer even better value, I went to my Vodafone upgrade site to discover that as an "upgrade", the IPhone 4 would cost me, on a less generous contract than the one mentioned above, £79.

I might be forgiven for asking WHY? :evil:
Paul

Posted 15 Mar 2011, 20:19 #12 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Lot's of companies offer incentives to get new punters on board. Once on board there are no freebies. All the big ISP's do this sort of thing, BT for example, first 3 months free. Already a customer? Pay the top whack for any upgrade in service.

In answer to your question, ********* knows how they get away with it.

You may however find that threatening to take your business elsewhere will afford some benefit.

Posted 15 Mar 2011, 20:42 #13 

Jürgen
Mick wrote:You may however find that threatening to take your business elsewhere will afford some benefit.

Like some insurance companies ... :evil:
Why do they treat loyal customers like that?

Posted 15 Mar 2011, 21:23 #14