Where in the world by Dave (Page 2 of 2)

Duncan
South Lakes wildlife park?

Dalton-in-Furness is in the Domesday book. And it's twinned with Dalton in the USA.

Posted 16 Aug 2010, 12:30 #21 

Dave
Duncan wrote:South Lakes wildlife park?

Dalton-in-Furness is in the Domesday book. And it's twinned with Dalton in the USA.

That sounds good!

Posted 16 Aug 2010, 18:30 #22 

MrB
Duncan wrote:South Lakes wildlife park?

Well done that man.

Best Zoo have ever been to - been to Chester loads but are several animals there I still have never seen - they're too far away as well. You can get up close to all the animals at S Lakes and it's a very well run and informative place to visit. Highly recommended.

Your turn now.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 16 Aug 2010, 22:47 #23 

Duncan
Ah. There's the problem with getting it right.

So, I'm thinking of a place very close to me, in fact walking distance.

Patrick, who sounds like he comes from a city close by, lived there, and liked taking piccies.

One of the bridges into it is completely misnamed. They have completely the wrong county, having named the bridge after an old ford engine instead of the county where it is actually located. And another nearby Bridge is also named after a car Brand that was part of the whole BL group.

People from the Potteries, will probably use the first part of it's name as part of a greeting.

So, if you can figure out the place, what are the other references? And there may be a couple of people around who find it way to easy being very local to me. Please let the others do some digging....

Posted 17 Aug 2010, 21:58 #24 

MrB
Think I've got it - Shugborough Hall?

Patrick Lichfield? (famous photographer and Lichfield is also in Staffs) ancestral home was Shugborough Hall

I have the Bridges as Essex Bridge and Wolseley Bridge

Can't get the potteries greeting reference though.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Shugborough+Estate&sll=52.76778,-1.932392&sspn=0.003324,0.012027&ie=UTF8&hq=Shugborough+Estate&hnear=&ll=52.800673,-2.012343&spn=0.006318,0.024054&t=h&z=16
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 17 Aug 2010, 23:03 #25 

Duncan
That was quick. Dead right.

Potteries greeting:

Alright Shug?

Spongebob would probably have got it straight off.

Posted 18 Aug 2010, 07:05 #26 

MrB
Only got it as I do have an interest in photography.

Did find it very interesting reading about the area as I tried to solve your clues.

Guess I have to think of another now.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 18 Aug 2010, 08:03 #27 

MrB
Somewhere we go walking quite a lot.

A 5 minute drive from home.

Built just over 150 years ago.

Classic Corrie characters had part of its name as their surname.

It is fed by something with a link to the USS Enterprise.

Shouldn't prove too difficult, I hope

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 18 Aug 2010, 10:03 #28 

Duncan
Ogden Reservoir?

Hilda and Stan.

Don't get the USS enterprise connection? Depends which enterprise I suppose.

Posted 18 Aug 2010, 18:53 #29 

Dave
Duncan wrote:Ogden Reservoir?

Hilda and Stan.

Don't get the USS enterprise connection? Depends which enterprise I suppose.

Was he right then MrB?!

Posted 21 Aug 2010, 18:08 #30 

MrB
Sorry for the delay.

Yes spot on Ogden Water - some great walks around in the surrounding moors and woodland.

It is fed by the and Kirk Brook and the Calder Brook.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 21 Aug 2010, 20:15 #31 

Duncan
Wikipedia gave different names for the brooks, but I think maybe there's more than one Ogden Reservoir.

Getting ready for the Nano now, so will come up with something later on.

Posted 22 Aug 2010, 08:07 #32 

MrB
Got my info from the dedicated Yorkshire Water and Ogden Water websites.

Hope you had fun at the Nano Meet - looks a great meet from the pics I've seen so far.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 22 Aug 2010, 22:45 #33