Wheeler Dealers - brakes by Dave

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Dave
A bit depressed about brakes this week....

Tourer had to go in for rears on Monday, although at £145 all in for discs and pads and labour, could have been worse I guess

On Wednesday Gill's MX5 went in for MOT. For the last four times it has sailed through, but this time failed on ..... rear brakes. To start with it seemed it just needed pads, but yesterday it turned out that it needs discs and calipers.... :hissyfit: £80 quite went to well over £300

TBH, I guess we could have taken it somewhere else and got it done cheaper (maybe) but thought, "let's just get it over with"

Anyway, getting to the point. Watched Wheeler Dealers this morning, SAAB Turbo. Quite an old one, seen it before, but just HOW did they manage to source FOUR brand new discs AND pads for, wait for it...... £70??!?!

I know it was an old show but, come on, £17.50 a corner?!

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 11:22 #1 

PaulT
Think you will find these for the 75 on eBay for less than £100.

However, Wheeler Dealers always amazes me 'we have made a profit' they declare - what about the labour
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 12:13 #2 

raistlin
The guy that does the buying and selling couldn't tell the truth if his life depended on it.

Some of the things he says to close a sale, having watched what actually took place, are ridiculous.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 12:47 #3 

Tourerfogey
Dave wrote:Anyway, getting to the point. Watched Wheeler Dealers this morning, SAAB Turbo. Quite an old one, seen it before, but just HOW did they manage to source FOUR brand new discs AND pads for, wait for it...... £70??!?!

Because they bought non OEM parts from Euro Car Parts

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 12:54 #4 

Dave
raistlin wrote:The guy that does the buying and selling couldn't tell the truth if his life depended on it.

He is a total Muppet. Edd on the other hand, I think seems like a genuinely nice guy (now waits for someone on here to tell me they know otherwise....)

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 13:21 #5 

Dave
Tourerfogey wrote:
Dave wrote:Anyway, getting to the point. Watched Wheeler Dealers this morning, SAAB Turbo. Quite an old one, seen it before, but just HOW did they manage to source FOUR brand new discs AND pads for, wait for it...... £70??!?!

Because they bought non OEM parts from Euro Car Parts

But still, £17.50 a corner, so something like £12 for a disc and £5.50 for pads?!?!

(Hmmm, eBay have the latter for £8.41, so close, but not seeing discs for less than £35, so around £160 all in - for a 75 that is, not the SAAB!)

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 13:25 #6 

Tourerfogey
Edd is also responsible for creations such as this ;

More comfortable than a 75 apparently . . .

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 13:29 #7 

Dave
Tourerfogey wrote:Edd is also responsible for creations such as this ;

More comfortable than a 75 apparently . . .

What a star! :D

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 13:45 #8 

greeners
Ed China is a very talented chap, he holds a couple of records for the fastest settee and other odd records as well.
http://www.cummfybanana.com/

Most of his work is for promo vehicles.

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 21:00 #9 

tammyboy
£20 guid a corner seems easy to achieve on ebay , guess if your selling on your not to bothered about quality !!
View eBay item 390129043186

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 22:14 #10 

JohnDotCom
I have been selling £110 for Genuine Mintex discs (4) and pads all round which I thought was a good price. (Not 190 or V8)
Sold a fair few of these but haven't listed any for a while now.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 22:28 #11 

Dave
Wish I'd started this thread before I shelled out on brake parts for the Tourer and the MX5!

:roll:

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 07:31 #12 

greeners
Dave wrote:Wish I'd started this thread before I shelled out on brake parts for the Tourer and the MX5!

Dave

with brakes, you get what you pay for. I personally would never use unbranded "cheapies"

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 18:24 #13 

Dave
greeners wrote:
Dave wrote:Wish I'd started this thread before I shelled out on brake parts for the Tourer and the MX5!

Dave

with brakes, you get what you pay for. I personally would never use unbranded "cheapies"

Good point!

Here's another question about the brakes on the MX5. We had the rears done, and it turned out that it was pads and calipers - discs didn't need to be done. Never liked the rear brakes on this car - the alloys mean you can see the disc, but for some reason the calipers/pads only act on about half the disc, so you get something like an inch on the inner untouched, two inches braked, an inch on the out edge untouched. This means you get a nice shiny bit surrounded by two rusty rings! Is there any logical reason why the pads couldn't contact the whole disc (like they do on the front)? Is it to do with ensuring the front/rear balance is maintained?

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 18:33 #14