Wanted. Sensors for BOTH front wheels.. SORTED> :D by James.uk

James.uk
Well we (I made the coffee and did the swearing) got the bearings done but:--- Had to totally destroy both sensors in the process. They just would NOT shift, we ended up drilling them out, Sooo

Locally the sensors cost £60 + vat each. :o Does anyone know of a cheaper source please??

Oh and now my speedo wont work, is this sensor related? Or have we displaced/disconnected something we shouldn't have?? :em:

Cost so far.. Supplied and fitted both front wheel bearings (magnetic ring type) -- £180 in total.. :)

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 15:07 #1 

Last edited by James.uk on 23 Aug 2010, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDotCom
Speedo is generally sourced via the ABS (Antilock Braking System) sensors on wheels I believe.
What sensors are you saying needs replacing? Is it the ABS Sensors?

Genuine are very expensive.
Part No: SSB000150 Sensor assembly antilock brakes - front - front knuckle £72.95 + VAT each

Rimmers In Stock: £72.95 ex VAT £85.72 inc VAT each
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 15:14 #2 

JohnDotCom
See PDF below.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 15:25 #3 

Bermudan 75
Hi James,

Don't know if it will help but I have the Rover 75 workshop manual and I have scanned a page that covers the sensor removal. I will attach it to this message, (he said not having a clue on how to do that)

Cheers

Mike

hub bearings.jpg

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 15:45 #4 

Last edited by Bermudan 75 on 23 Aug 2010, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDotCom
Rover418275 wrote:Hi James,

Don't know if it will help but I have the Rover 75 workshop manual and I have scanned a page that covers the sensor removal. I will attach it to this message, (he said not having a clue on how to do that)

Cheers

Mike

Mike you can either copy it on your Scanner and then upload to Photobucket or similar,
or scan it and convert to a PDF file which I find easiest.
John

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 15:48 #5 

James.uk
Sorry John.. Yes it is the ABS sensor I think. they live against the magnetic ring on the wheel bearing on both front wheels. (or used too in my case :em: )..

£72.95 ex VAT .. Ouchies! .. Seems I can get cheaper locally then.. :confused:

Thank you for the information John.. :)

Seems silly that the lil sensors cost about the same as the bearings huh? :confused:

Having looked at the PDF . Sensor number 1 with the oblong end looks more like the ones we took out? And it reads as though they are only £10-20p each?? Am I reading the PDF incorrectly?? :em:

I can't understand the two prices and part numbers given for sensor-part numbered one on the drawing?? d'ohhh.. :confused:

Mike? I know how to remove replace the sensors. Thanks anyway, my prob is trying to understand the cost of the item I need..

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 15:56 #6 

JohnDotCom
Hi James, the EPC can be confusing sometimes.
The cheaper part number was what was fitted to the very early cars but afraid no longer available,
it says in notes to use the one I have listed (at much greater cost) :(
John

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 15:59 #7 

Bermudan 75
Would these not be available from a scrap yard ?

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 16:04 #8 

James.uk
Ah OK.. Thanks John.. Seems cheaper to get them locally then I guess.. :confused:

That's a hell of a price hike innit! Early one £20-40, "new" one £72-95 !! :shock: Especial when the bearings only cost £55 ish each? :confused: ..

Thanks for info John, and at least now I know why the speedo is kaputted!! :roll:

Hiya Mike.. Thank you for the info.. It could have been a life saver.. Not your fault I plunged in blind is it? heh heh.. :em:

On the plus side. The nasty rumbling from the front end has gone completely!! The car barely whispers when on a smooth road now.. Brilliant! :thumbsup:

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 16:13 #9 

Bermudan 75
Hi James,

I hope that means that we will see you at the next Cheshire meet on September 19th? A number of the stalwarts from the Wolves nano-meets hope to attend. Would be nice to see JDC there barring any 747's needing his attention.

Mike

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 16:19 #10 

James.uk
In terms of a "how-to" it was basically brute force and a big hammer.. Had to heat the circlips that hold the bearings in with a welding torch before they would come out, and needed a small angle grinder to get the centre pieces off the lil spigot as both bearings fell to bits when I bashed em wiv me big hammer! :lol:..

Overall it was fairly straight forward though.. :)

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 16:34 #11 

Bermudan 75
Big hammers, angle gringers, blow torches, brute force, are you sure you have not attended a Wolves nano-meet ?

And that was just opening a can of beans...............

:cheers:

Mike

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 16:38 #12 

takestock
Ebay around £25 each IIRC not OEM but work OK with new reluctor rings you should have no problem :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 17:43 #13 

James.uk
I will attend the next Cheshire meet. But you may regret that decision! :lol: :roll:

I did discover that my car Will soon be needing:- Two front brake disks, all four brake pipes, front brake pads, and front spring protectors, but... I will have to drill and tap the holes for those?? (I thought they already existed? ) :confused:

Talking of bashing fings wiv big hammers, I managed to break the centre piece off a longgg socket lever, two LARGE sockets, and the end off a large metal screwdriver.. But it was such fun innit!! :lol: :lol: ..

My mechanic friend would not let me bash the new bearings in though, :shock: he insisted that we used a big vice for that to "press them in gently".. Blo**y spoil sport innit! :hissyfit: ;)

PS.. The odds on being able to find an ab.s sensor that you could remove without damage in a scrapyard is extremely remote. Even after drilling a hole clear through mine, I still had to make a drift so I could bash em out. :roll: :confused:

PSS:- Thanks dave (Takestock) but I have already ordered some locally as I need a working speedo asap.. ;)

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 17:44 #14