volumetric sensor for alarm!! by Tazman3

Tazman3
hi guys...

well my wifes car had three windows broken over the weekend luckily she has a volumetric sensor so her alarm went off alerting us and they didnt get away with anything.

however my car was in front of the wifes and they tried mine also albeit after hers so the alarm scared them off, but i realised if they had tried mine first they could have broken every window and the alarm would be sat there fat dumb and happy.

My question is has anyone retrofitted the volumetric sensor???

are there two of them or just one on the drivers pillar like my missus ZS?

i have one out of a ZS will this work?

Sorry for all the questions but i feel my car is inadequately protected and wish to do something about it fast!!

Martin

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 17:37 #1 

Duncan
There's only one, it looks just like the ZS one, and is probably the same, but I'm not 100% sure. You also really need the metal fram to fit to the headlining to clip it into.

Some later cars had a slightly different square one, but still only the one as far as I know.

I believe you need to enable it with a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System).

To be fair, the system doesn't stop the scrotes smashing the windows as you found. They won't get into the car because it has deadlocks, so the only thing they could do is lean in and take things they can get at, and you shouldn't leave stuff on view as it encourages the lowlifes.

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 18:01 #2 

Tazman3
There wasnt anything in view....sat night pissed up knobs really...

i just want the alarm to sound if they do break any windows!!

Happy with the deadlocks and all that...

Cheers

Martin

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 18:12 #3 

Duncan
OK, I understand.

There are only three wires to the unit, power, ground, and the trigger. The trigger connects to the BCU (Body Control Unit) above the glovebox, but I'm not sure where the power comes from.

I'll see if I can dig up some more info, which I need to do as I intend to do the same retrofit. In fact I bought a ZS unit for one of the cars, to try the same thing, just been too busy so far to do it.

Maybe I should get on and try some tests this evening while SWMBO is away.....

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 18:29 #4 

Tazman3
Cheers mate that would be great

Martin

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 19:13 #5 

JohnDotCom
The ones above drivers door pillar are far easier to fit then the central roof box one in later cars IMHO. (which main fittings are no longer available)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 19:33 #6 

Duncan
Found my 75 one, and looked up the part number on rimmerbros. The part number is the same as for the 400/45 and 600, except for the colour code at the end. The 200/25 part number is different but it may just be a calibration issue: the project was designed to be used across the board.

I still need to find the other one and do some comparison, and I can't look up the wiring right now as I can't find my CD for the new computer...

Will keep looking.

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 19:46 #7 

Tazman3
Brilliant thats good news, the one i have is off a ZS so should work ok. i take it if i get the cage and there will be a wiring loom somewhere behind the pillar? I can get access to someone with a T4 to activate it, but does anyone now what would need to be configured?

Cheers

Martin

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 20:35 #8 

Duncan
OK.

Done some checking: I have a 75 part and a Rover 400 (same as 45/ZS) part. Internally they look the same, and the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) has the same part number. Some other numbers change but I think these are batch numbers.

I've tested both parts: power on pins 1 and 4, ground to pin 2, monitor pin 3. When movement is detected pin 3 is about 150 ohms to ground, otherwise 25k ohms. Both units the same. So as far as I can tell, a ZS part is electrically identical. Until I can test one on a car I can't do any more.

Power is supplied direct from the BCU. The wiring may be omitted when the car doesn't have ultrasonics, lets hope not. The circuits say the supply goes via a header and the third wire is used in a 'development' circuit, so again probably not on production cars.

Looks like a job for the Nanomeet.....

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 20:41 #9 

Duncan
Tazman3 wrote:Brilliant thats good news, the one i have is off a ZS so should work ok. i take it if i get the cage and there will be a wiring loom somewhere behind the pillar? I can get access to someone with a T4 to activate it, but does anyone now what would need to be configured?

Cheers

Martin

Wiring may or may not be there.

From memory on the T1, it's a separate option that can be switched on under dealer options, but I couldn't swear to it.

Edit:

time for a beer now...... :cheers: :cheers:

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 20:43 #10 

Tazman3
Wow...what a response....thanks Duncan

didnt expect all that in one week....let alone in a couple of hours...

Martin

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 21:44 #11 

Russ
(Trader)
Duncan wrote:
Tazman3 wrote:Brilliant thats good news, the one i have is off a ZS so should work ok. i take it if i get the cage and there will be a wiring loom somewhere behind the pillar? I can get access to someone with a T4 to activate it, but does anyone now what would need to be configured?

Cheers

Martin

Wiring may or may not be there.

From memory on the T1, it's a separate option that can be switched on under dealer options, but I couldn't swear to it.

Edit:

time for a beer now...... :cheers: :cheers:

Chances are the wiring won't be there the roof looms for ultrasonic alarmed cars are different, but maybe it's wired as far as the driver's "a" pillar.

You're right Duncan it's in the dealer options on all Testbooks.

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 22:40 #12 

Tazman3
cheers russ, i have looked at the wiring diagram, looks like two pins on the bcu and a pink/yellow, pink/green.

think i will have to have a look at the driver a pillar wiring to see whats what...i already have the sensor just need to access T4 which i know of someone up my way....

Martin

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 22:47 #13 

Tazman3
i have sourced a sensor, the wiring loom and the cage to fit into the lining.

as soon as i sort out my cruise control hopefully, i will sort out this mod

Martin

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 07:54 #14 

Dallas
Martin! you sure do act fast, hope you get it all sorted :D

..................... another option to protect your car that would also make you aware of windows being broken and setting of alarm would be, to purchase an after-market alarm with SHOCK SENSING.

Prices start from £20 upwards and would have an inbuilt Shock Sensing sensor with optional sensing adjustment, also allows for additional interior ultrasonic protection as an upgrade (but the built-in shock sensor system would set of the alarm if windows were broken).

http://www.watsons-on-the-web.co.uk/WatsonSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=SR75H&cookie%5Ftest=1

Just an idea..... :D

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 09:04 #15 

MrB
Tazman3 wrote:i have sourced a sensor, the wiring loom and the cage to fit into the lining.

as soon as i sort out my cruise control hopefully, i will sort out this mod

Martin

Martin

I would like to do this to mine too, so am watching with interest.

How did you source the parts? Scappers or via the various fora?

Have found a suitable sensor but the supplier can't supply anything more, so I'll need the cage and the wiring.

Cheers

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 09:40 #16 

Duncan
Cage could probably be made from some thin sheet. Something like the inside of a roll of cable. Bit of snipping and bending.....

I'm trying to find a source of suitable 4 pin plugs, but there must be something somewhere that suits....

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 12:09 #17 

Tazman3
yep Chris just emailed some guys breaking on ebay and sorted for £25 including postage.

yep Dallas, i dont like to hang around if possible, luckily SWMBO is into cars also! helps when i say i need this and that...lol

i will keep you all informed how it goes i should have the parts by the weekend, but cant get it T4'd till late July unfortunately.

Martin

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 12:48 #18 

Tazman3
i am now in possesion of the sensor the loom and the cage...so tomorrow i will be fitting it but not expecting it to work until i get T4 to configure.

i will however take some phots..

Martin

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 23:30 #19 

MrB
Tazman3 wrote:i am now in possesion of the sensor the loom and the cage...so tomorrow i will be fitting it but not expecting it to work until i get T4 to configure.

i will however take some phots..

Martin

Looking forward to the pics.

Will be watching with interest and then contacting a few breakers on eBay for the bits.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 23:49 #20