I know it's a Rover community... by raistlin

raistlin
... but I thought this might amuse ;)

Some of you will know that my somewhat "can do" attitude hasn't gone down very well on one or two of the Jaguar fora. I can't sleep at night for worrying about that :lol:

In fact, I changed my username on one of the fora to "Can't be done" in honour of a certain smug, self-satisfied armchair pundit... until a moderator provided me with erm guidance :lol:

Now I've just done it again by deliberately doing something which "can't be done", not because it is a useful modification but because... and purely because, I like to gainsay certain people when they annoy me :lol:

So what did I do? Well, in just over an hour, I designed and tested a circuit which dips one or both door mirrors to view the kerb when reverse is selected, returning the mirror(s) to default position when reverse is de-selected.

Even better, although my experimental lash-up looks ungainly, I believe that the final module will be in a box smaller than a matchbox and requiring the connection of only five wires :)

Can't be done? Red rag to a bull, that statement :lol:

I wonder if I'm going to be banned from that particular forum? Mind you, since late afternoon, I've had just under 40 enquiries about the mod.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Jul 2015, 18:25 #1 

raistlin
Ooops, make that 60+ enquiries :lol:
Paul

Posted 14 Jul 2015, 18:48 #2 

PaulT
Perhaps change your username to God - Go On Doit :)

So, come on, give us a comparison between an S and a 75
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 14 Jul 2015, 19:14 #3 

raistlin
PaulT wrote:Perhaps change your username to God - Go On Doit :)

So, come on, give us a comparison between an S and a 75

I don't believe in God (or god) Paul, although I AM prepared to accept that Brian existed. :gmc:

As for comparisons, very little difference Paul, other than the fact of rear wheel drive of course but even that doesn't make a difference in everyday driving, only when I get down to the Maccy D's car park on a Saturday night innit.

. That's why I found the S Type to be a worthy successor to VeeKay. One or two people at nano-meets have had a drive and, whether they were just being kind or not, seemed mildly impressed with the S.
Paul

Posted 14 Jul 2015, 19:19 #4 

PaulT
Glad you are finding the S type to your liking.

Reckon I have 5 or 6 years left of the 75 - currently showing 104k miles and previous one was still going strong at 220k.

My problem for next vehicle is:

a) needs to be an estate for the/a dog
b) never have owned a vehicle not built in the UK
c) needs to be able to tow 1580kg

Wonder why they never made an S Estate?

And of course Brian existed - we have all seen the documentary.
Paul

Posted 14 Jul 2015, 19:57 #5 

Bernard
So you've done the dipping mirrors for the S type, what's different from the 75 in that respect? More room presumably?
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 14 Jul 2015, 21:39 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Fine motor car Paul.(as I said). Definitely a worthy successor. :)

Posted 14 Jul 2015, 21:42 #7 

raistlin
Bernard wrote:So you've done the dipping mirrors for the S type, what's different from the 75 in that respect? More room presumably?

No Bernard. I didn't even have to go into the mirrors. It's a bit like the lateral thinking which originated the Ultimate Remote for the Rover 75 / MGZT :)

On my S Type, the 16 seat functions, steering column height and rake, pedal position and mirror positions can all be allocated to one of two memory settings. They all have position feedback to ensure spot on positioning each time.

So I set memory 1 as my default driving position, and memory 2 exactly the same except for the mirror(s) being tilted fully down to see the kerb(s)

When reverse is selected, the discriminant to the parking sensor module goes high and I use that to provide a 200ms earth pulse to activate memory 2. When reverse is de-selected the same discriminant goes low (default state) which I use to provide a 200ms earth to activate memory 1 - simples :) but very effective as it uses the reasonably accurate position feedback servo loops already provided :lol:

At present it is a bugger's muddle of timers and relays and bits of wire. I'm hoping that Duncan will come up with a PIC program to handle the functions which are really very basic.
Paul

Posted 14 Jul 2015, 21:57 #8 

Last edited by raistlin on 14 Jul 2015, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.

raistlin
Mick wrote:Fine motor car Paul.(as I said). Definitely a worthy successor. :)

Thanks Mick. High praise indeed from a connoisseur. HEY I can still spell it correctly :lol:
Paul

Posted 14 Jul 2015, 22:00 #9 

Bernard
raistlin wrote:
Bernard wrote:So you've done the dipping mirrors for the S type, what's different from the 75 in that respect? More room presumably?

No Bernard. I didn't even have to go into the mirrors. It's a bit like the lateral thinking which originated the Ultimate Remote for the Rover 75 / MGZT :)

On my S Type, the 16 seat functions, steering column height and rake, pedal position and mirror positions can all be allocated to one of two memory settings. They all have position feedback to ensure spot on positioning each time.

So I set memory 1 as my default driving position, and memory 2 exactly the same except for the mirror(s) being tilted fully down to see the kerb(s)

When reverse is selected, the discriminant to the parking sensor module goes high and I use that to provide a 200ms earth pulse to activate memory 2. When reverse is de-selected the same discriminant goes low (default state) which I use to provide a 200ms earth to activate memory 1 - simples :) but very effective as it uses the reasonably accurate position feedback servo loops already provided :lol:

At present it is a bugger's muddle of timers and relays and bits of wire. I'm hoping that Duncan will come up with a PIC program to handle the functions which are really very basic.

Oh I see!
What a shame that the 75 doesn't have memory mirrors. The old Sterlings did.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 14 Jul 2015, 22:32 #10 

raistlin
Chaps, thanks for the enthusiasm, but this idea cannot be translated to Rover 75 MGZT because their mirrors do not have a position feedback setup :(

Bernard and I gave this some considerable thought a few years ago and I'm sorry to conclude, in this case at least. it REALLY can't be done.
Paul

Posted 15 Jul 2015, 07:48 #11 

Dave
raistlin wrote:So I set memory 1 as my default driving position, and memory 2 exactly the same except for the mirror(s) being tilted fully down to see the kerb(s)

Wouldn't have a clue how to go about all this circuitry stuff, but interestingly, I've got a similar (lower tech) solution on our Rexton, which does have memory mirrors. As it has three memory settings, 1 is me for regular use, 2 is me for reversing (mirrors down) and 3 is for Gill. As she drives it about 3 times a year, I don't think she'd begrudge me having the first two positions! ;)

Posted 15 Jul 2015, 15:50 #12 

Duncan
I also have this on my Skoda. No mods required, just put it in reverse.

I tried to find out if there was another vehicle that used the same motors as the 75 that did contain the feedback circuits but came up blank. I only looked at the bullet type, so there could be hope if the skullcap type are different. I did recently buy a pair of skullcap mirrors to look at adding powerfold, but failed to read the advert properly. At least I now have a spare pair of bullets!

Posted 15 Jul 2015, 17:00 #13 

PaulT
Sorry, taking it in a different direction - what is the difference between bullet and skullcaps?
Paul

Posted 15 Jul 2015, 19:23 #14 

Mick
(Site Admin)

Posted 15 Jul 2015, 19:31 #15 

PaulT
Thanks Mick now educated
Paul

Posted 15 Jul 2015, 19:38 #16 

Bolin
Interesting mod Paul - presumably because the mod uses the memory position rather than a signal for 'full downwards tilt' then any position could be used.

With this being the same principle that you have used for the Ultimate Remote, then presumably this could be applied to other k-bus circuits to create other custom mods?

Can't think of anything that I would like to do with the car's features, but next time I think 'I wished it did that differently' I'll bear in mind that things can be modded in this way.

I didn't like the fact that the fuel flap doesn't lock with the key blade, so I sorted that - although it involved just moving a wire t turned out to be more of a faff than I had first thought, and it's unlikely that I will lock the car with the key blade (have installed switches for my alarm sensors so I can disable them if required but still lock with fob for deadlocks), but it now does what I want it to do!

BTW the E46 had an auto downwards on the passenger mirror in reverse I think, I take it that the motors can't be made to fit the 75/ZT? Not sure what controls the E46 function, I think the 75/ZT doesn't use the BCU (Body Control Unit) for the mirrors.

Posted 17 Jul 2015, 21:04 #17